What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Lost Traffic data

Votes:

I monitor 22 sites with 1G interfaces back to a 10G Datacenter. I have observed through PRTG for the last 3 months that the 10G connection never exceeds 1G Traffic and the 2 highest use sites drop SNMP traffic data when they reach over 250Mps. I think the line is saturated and the dropped packets are evidence of the saturation.

The service provider has tested their 10G interface and can push that much data through. I have worked with my enterprise switch vendor and the configurations seem to be correct. At this point my proof is just the lost packets in the WLAN Traffic sensor and reports of slow network during that time. Monitoring the 10G sensor on the data center switch does not show traffic over 950 Mbps

Am I correct to assume that the lost packets would occur because higher priority traffic is getting through and the sites competing for the largest amounts of bandwidth would show this while the others would not?

Background - I do not VLAN anything. I segment the network with private subnets at each site with firewalls that pass all but broadcast traffic. I have a private MAN through Cox Cable service provider that connects all sites. All Internet traffic and data center traffic passes through the 10G connection.

snmp traffic

Created on Jan 22, 2016 2:16:34 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Debbie,

The issue is related to the fact that the sensor was set-up using 32-bit counters on the monitored device. This limits the highest measurable speed which the sensor can display before it overflows. Please review the KB-article for details and the possible Workarounds.

Created on Jan 26, 2016 3:11:07 PM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.