What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI shows "Access is denied" only on a few Sensors of a device

Votes:

Some WMI Sensors are showing:

"Get-WmiObject : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) At C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\custom sensors\EXE\check_automatic_services.ps1:43 char:20 + Catch{ $Services = Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -ComputerName $ComputerName | Whe ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WmiObject], UnauthorizedA ccessException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Pow erShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand )" (Code: PE132)."

and

"8004106C: Windows XP: WMI is taking up too much memory. This could be caused either by low memory availability or excessive memory consumption by WMI."

It´s strange because there a many other WMI sensors of this device that are working correctly.

access-denied wmi wmi-error

Created on Jan 25, 2016 8:49:07 AM

Last change on Jan 26, 2016 12:29:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The problem boiled down to the following:

80041013: COM cannot locate a provider referenced in the schema.

This error may be caused by any of the following:The provider is using a WMI DLL that does 
not match the .lib file used when the provider was built.The provider's DLL, or any 
of the DLLs on which it depends, is corrupt.The provider failed to export 
DllRegisterServer. An in-process provider was not registered using the 
regsvr32 command.An out-of-process provider was not registered 
using the /regserver switch. For example, myprog.exe /regserver.

There's no solution to this, other then rebuilding the WMI system I'm afraid.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 7:14:44 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Windows XP isn't exactly the best / fastest system when it comes to WMI. What exact sensors are used, i.e. what metrics are queried from the target system?

Created on Jan 26, 2016 12:30:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The problem ist that there isn´t any Windows XP system installed. This message comes only on the three IIS Application Sensor. And the first message pops up on a exe/script sensor which runs this script: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/62319-how-do-i-monitor-all-services-on-a-server-set-to-automatic

Created on Jan 27, 2016 7:45:28 AM

Votes:

What version of PRTG are you currently using? How many WMI sensors are you using altogether?

Created on Jan 27, 2016 3:30:27 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

v: 15.4.20.4776+ WMI Sensors: 116

Created on Jan 28, 2016 7:04:17 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Okay then. Might be better if you open a support ticket with us and send a support bundle. This way we have more debbuging options. Please also add a link to this thread as reference within the ticket.

Thanks! :)

Created on Jan 29, 2016 8:01:33 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Was there ever a resolution to this? I'm receiving the same error message, "8004106C: Windows XP: WMI is taking up too much memory. This could be caused either by low memory availability or excessive memory consumption by WMI."

I've deleted the entire device & sensors. Re-added them. Restarted WMI services. Restarted the server. I also verified & cleaned the wmi cache per microsoft. This Domain Controller was monitoring perfectly for the last few years, but now is constantly (every minute) giving me these errors.

Server is a Windows Server 2012 Datacenter

PRTG: V 16.1.22.2658

Any info is appreciated.

Created on Apr 12, 2016 3:05:30 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The problem boiled down to the following:

80041013: COM cannot locate a provider referenced in the schema.

This error may be caused by any of the following:The provider is using a WMI DLL that does 
not match the .lib file used when the provider was built.The provider's DLL, or any 
of the DLLs on which it depends, is corrupt.The provider failed to export 
DllRegisterServer. An in-process provider was not registered using the 
regsvr32 command.An out-of-process provider was not registered 
using the /regserver switch. For example, myprog.exe /regserver.

There's no solution to this, other then rebuilding the WMI system I'm afraid.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 7:14:44 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.