What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I send alarms into PRTG

Votes:

I have different application program running. In case of an error situation I want to send an alarm into PRTG. How can I send alarms from an other source into PRTG?

And second, how can I create an new device object and sending regularly key/values from an other source into PRTG?

alarm api custom-sensor into send

Created on Feb 9, 2016 9:37:45 AM

Last change on Feb 10, 2016 9:24:35 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Paul,
we appreciate your contact.

There are a few options within PRTG, especially when talking about our Custom Sensors:

For instance, you can use our HTTP Push Data Advanced Sensor to Push data via HTTP into a specific sensor at the time of the error. Please check the sensor's how-to for further setup details.

You can also use an EXE/Script Advanced Sensor to regularly query a file or your application directly to read the amount of "errors".

If your application stores data on a SQL Server you can use any of our SQL Sensors to monitor the number of errors stored in a table or any query result:

It's also possible to use the native Syslog Receiver Sensor or SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor if your application is able to send Syslog or SNMP traps of any sort. Please note that this option may provide less flexibility than the previously mentioned Custom Sensors.

You can find further details about PRTG's API within PRTG under Setup > PRTG API, please check the Custom Sensors tab.

Best Regards,

Created on Feb 10, 2016 9:24:23 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Feb 28, 2023 3:02:39 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.