What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I select interfaces when adding an SNMP CUSTOM sensor for my Cisco device?

Votes:

When I make a Custom SNMP sensor for example :ifAdminStatus OID = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7 then I don't see where to select the interfaces of the switch to be query, like the SNMP Traffic does.

advanced ifoperstatus snmp-custom-sensor snmp-sensor snmp-table table

Created on Feb 17, 2016 12:35:25 AM

Last change on Feb 18, 2016 7:39:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,
we appreciate your contact.

The SNMP Custom Sensor will not perform a metascan (list available indexes/interfaces). When setting-up this sensor you must use the "absolute" OID (OID+Index). You can confirm the available indexes of the interfaces table by downloading our SNMP Tester and performing a walk of 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.

The walk result will look like this:

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.8 = "WAN Miniport (IP) " [ASN_OCTET_STR]
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.9 = "RAS Async Adapter " [ASN_OCTET_STR]
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.10 = "HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter #49 " [ASN_OCTET_STR]

This means that if you want to monitor the ifAdminStatus for interface HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter #49 you need to query the ifOperStatus with index 10, the resuling OID to be entered in the SNMP Custom Sensor will be:

Please note that in the most recent releases of PRTG you may take advantage of the SNMP Custom Table Sensor for this. When deploying this sensor enter the SNMP Table's OID (for ifTable 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2) and the sensor will perform a so called metascan and list the available interfaces and additional table properties, including the ifOperStatus. The resulting sensor may have up to 10 channels.

Best Regards,

Created on Feb 18, 2016 7:39:23 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Ok, Thanks. The Custom Table Sensor was just what I needed, but doesn't have the division an multiplication fields and I need those fields to convert my values.

Created on Feb 18, 2016 10:40:09 PM

Votes:

Hello.

The just-released PRTG version 16.1.22 includes support to configure Scaling Multiplication and Scaling Division within the sensor's channels settings, so the setting within sensors is no longer required.

Additionally, please note that when setting-up the SNMP Custom Table Sensor you may specify units, for instance when monitoring Octets in the ifTable or ifXTable, please use the unit "BytesBandwidth" instead of using multiplication or division. It will provide better results and be compatible with the channel unit configuration, which will allow you to modify the unit "on the fly".

Best Regards,

Created on Feb 19, 2016 1:13:23 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.