What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Fortigate Monitor WAN status ISP fail

Votes:

I succesfully configure many of my Fortigate units and i can see graphs of every interface. The question is how can i set up a specific sensor on WANs interfaces to show up an alarm when my ISP goes does. For example, right now i can see my FW all green but my internet connection is down, i want a red flag on service down even if my interface is working fine.

Thanks in advance

fortigate fortinet wan-links

Created on Feb 17, 2016 12:58:07 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

so there will be a target service which the users are working with. You can create sensors to simulate the working routine of your users, this might be a sensor scanning a particular website or service.

If this is not sufficient, you can write your own script to query values directly from the router via SSH.

• Click here for a guide of Fortinet
  • The API documentation can be found on the "Setup > PRTG API > Custom Sensors" page

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 19, 2016 7:57:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

There are multiple possibilities to monitor the availability of your ISP. You can create a new device with the IP address of any address which can only be reached when the internet is up and i.e. add an HTTP Sensor or Ping Sensor.

If the line is always utilized, you could create a Sensor Channel Limit if the total bandwidth drops below a certain number.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 18, 2016 2:01:27 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Felix, but the firewalls that i need to monitor are remote devices in other cities, at my site i have human sensors (users) that pop an alarm almost at the moment of internet problem. The PRTG monitors over MPLS other sites and devices.

Thanks in advance

Created on Feb 18, 2016 7:06:09 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

so there will be a target service which the users are working with. You can create sensors to simulate the working routine of your users, this might be a sensor scanning a particular website or service.

If this is not sufficient, you can write your own script to query values directly from the router via SSH.

• Click here for a guide of Fortinet
  • The API documentation can be found on the "Setup > PRTG API > Custom Sensors" page

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 19, 2016 7:57:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.