What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor should send message only if new errors happens

Votes:

My log file will be continuously extended with new rows. I’d like to implement sensor, which informs me only if new errors happens. Example:

17.02.2016;15:30:24;"JOB1";"BATCH 5003";gestartet;"" 
17.02.2016;15:30:24;"JOB2";"BATCH 5005";gestartet;"" 
17.02.2016;15:30:25;"JOB1";"BATCH 5003";beendet;"" 
17.02.2016;15:30:25;"JOB2";"BATCH 5005";beendet;""
15.02.2016;15:31:44;”JOB3”;"BATCH PAT Export";FEHLER;"strValue"

Because the configured search text “FEHLER” was logged, the mail about error should be sent by PRTG to me. Only if the next error happens the next mail should be sent me again. The count of “FEHLER” entries is not important for my requirement.

I tried to use the option “Only transmit to PRTG new lines …”. This option counts all rows with the text “FEHLER” and it sends me a mail one time daily if I configure the Threshold Trigger. When I configure the Change Trigger I get no messages although the count of matches was changed.

Is there any possibility to implement my requirement with PRTG Network Monitor?

file-content-sensor notification-email transmit-new-lines

Created on Feb 17, 2016 2:56:33 PM

Last change on Feb 18, 2016 1:04:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear dimipilip

There is no sensor provided with PRTG for this. The option "Only transmit to PRTG new lines at the end of the file" is a mere performance optimization.

If you can write yourself a script (for example in powershell) which only checks new lines, you can use that script as Exe/Script sensor.

Created on Feb 18, 2016 1:17:18 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. How I understood Paessler will add this requirements to Feature request.

Created on Feb 18, 2016 2:00:57 PM

Votes:

Dear dimipilip

At this time, we have no plans to offer such feature, because we are currently focusing on other features which are in higher demand. We might add such sensor option in the future; however as an overall goal, we offer the custom sensor API to allow users to add their own sensors. To phrase it differently, instead of covering every (niche) case, we try to cover the most important metrics and rather improve our custom sensor API than implementing more and more sensors and sensor options.

Created on Feb 18, 2016 2:55:41 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.