What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Content Sensor

Votes:

I have successfully setup File Content sensors in the past and have used the same method in this case. However, I was not getting a consistent result and now I am getting an incorrect result all of the time. The problem does not seem to be with getting a current refreshed version of the log file I am scanning as the Sensor Debug result file always shows what I am expecting (ie. the current version of the log file). The problem is that the Sensor is now never finding the Search String.

Sensor Details...

Windows Environment

As the file is small and gets regenerated by a system script I have set the sensor to read the entire file each time.

The logfile actually lives on the same machine as the PRTG probe. So the Sensor file name is "c:\bat\summary.log" (but I have also tried to use "C$\bat\summary.log").

I have deliberately set the Windows Credentials to a special AD service account we use for this purpose.

The PRTG Probe Service is running as "Local System"

The Search String is "Failed"

"c:\bat\summary.log" content is...

11:33 Thursday, February 18, 2016 Active Directory password changed for blah blah

More... Failed to get Active Directory EmailAddress for blah blah

Result of Sensor Debug File is ...

11:33 Thursday, February 18, 2016 Active Directory password changed for blah blah

More... Failed to get Active Directory EmailAddress for blah blah

I really don;t understand why the sensor is not noticing the "Failed" in the text. I have also changed the sensor to use a regular expression and it also does not detect it.

Have also tried using UNIX formatting for EOL.

Any insight or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

file file-content-sensor windows

Created on Feb 18, 2016 1:57:24 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

I'd say we need to take a deeper look at the details. Please send us the following to [email protected]:

• Screenshot of the sensor's "Settings" tab
  • Screenshot of the device's "Settings" tab where the sensor has been added to
  • The file that is being checked
  • The sensor's Debug Log

Make sure to reference this ticket in your email.

Thank you & Kind regards.

Created on Feb 19, 2016 3:37:14 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank-You for your reply. When preparing for your request I have subsequently discovered that the text file being scanned had every second byte of its contents set as NULLl. Hence when viewed in a text mode it "looked" ok but obviously the sensor was not able to match the text required. I am not sure how but the encoding of the file was set to UCS-2 LE BOM and every time I changed the text in the file during the tests - it "looked" ok but was saved with the nulls to honour the encoding scheme. More research is required as to why the encoding was different. But other wise it now works.

ff fe 46 00 61 00 69 00 6c 00 65 00 64 00 0a 00

Shows as

Failed

Created on Feb 24, 2016 11:43:19 PM

Votes:

Good to hear it's working now. In case you need further assistance, please send us those details as mentioned before.

Kind regards.

Created on Feb 25, 2016 8:19:47 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.