What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping Dependencies - Layers

Votes:

In my environment I have the following scenario: Device 1 (190 sensors) has a dependency on a PING to device 1's IP. Device 2 (4 sensors) has a dependency on a PING to device 2's IP. Device 3 (8 sensors) has a dependency on a PING to device 3's IP. Device 4 (190 sensors) has a dependency on a PING to device 5's IP.

Device 1 PING has a dependency to Device 2's PING Device 2 PING has a dependency to Device 3's PING Device 3 PING has a dependency to Device 4's PING

When I had an alert on device 3, the Dependencies did pause as expected; however, the device 2's PING, still showed paused by dependency. I tried to manually pause the PING and resume it, also tried to check the PING again and it still showed paused by dependency. The interesting thing is that Device 2's dependency, was actually showing Up (Green) in that screen.

What I had to do to resolve the issue, was delete out the PING on device 2 and then reconfigure the dependencies all over again for device 2 and all sub dependencies. That seems really odd. My question being is there a limit to nested dependencies in PRTG? Why would I have to continually delete the sensor and reinitiate a new sensor, thereby losing all my historical data?

Thanks!

ping prtg snmp

Created on Feb 18, 2016 3:41:46 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Normally, it is not necessary to delete the sensors in such cases.

Please first have a look at the scheme of dependencies in your PRTG: click on "Devices -> Dependencies -> Dependencies Graph" and then on "Show Master Dependencies". There you will have an overview of all dependencies and it can help you to activate/deactivate a dependency.

If you are still experiencing the issues, please open a support ticket and send us the screenshots of your dependency settings. Please refer to this KB article in the ticket.

Best regards

Created on Feb 19, 2016 4:18:29 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.