What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Newest file channel claiming file older than it is

Votes:

I am trying to test a log file folder for time since update by looking for newest file older than 180 seconds. I have the folder that the logs are in open on my desktop. I've noticed that the "Date Modified" column doesn't update while I have it open. I've also noticed that the sensor claims newest file age seems to be seeing the non-updated value. (i.e. if I open the folder at 3:30, the sensor claims that the newest file is about 240s old at 3:34).

I tried closing the folder, but the sensor still claims that the oldest file is getting older. I haven't tried logging out of the Remote Connection yet, but I am not sure it'd work anyway.

Any idea what might be the problem? Or the solution?

file-age file-monitoring folder-sensor

Created on Feb 19, 2016 9:52:35 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Did you set the limit directly in the newest file channel or in the "Settings" tab of the sensor?

Difference on oldest/newest file is calculated using the system time of the probe running the sensor when the scan is being performed. Furthermore there may be invisible files in the folder (which the sensor will also account for), so you could check if there are invisible files.

Kind regards.

Created on Feb 22, 2016 1:53:03 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.