What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with SSH Remote Ping sensor

Votes:

Hi all

I am trying to configure a SSH Remote Ping sensor but when the sensor is deployed I am receiving the following error message,

Socket error on connecting. WSAGetLastError return 10061($274D) No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Any idea?

Regards Tasos

ping prtg ssh-remote-ping

Created on Feb 22, 2016 10:06:59 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Tasos,

What kind of device is it and does it have SSH enabled? The sensor might not work with every device, but the error indicates that is has no chance to work, because socket error 10061 means what is stated in the sensor message: Connection was actively refused by target. So basically the request reaches the target and is then refused by it. SSH not being enabled or not configured to respond might be the issue here.

See also: Monitoring via SSH

Kind regards.

Created on Feb 23, 2016 1:53:34 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

This a Ubuntu VM and ssh access is enabled, since we can ssh it remotely. What should I check further?

Regards Tasos

Created on Feb 23, 2016 4:56:27 PM

Votes:

Hi Tasos,

I've sent you an email asking for screenshots of the device's and sensor's "Settings" tabs.

Kind regards.

Created on Feb 24, 2016 7:40:08 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.