What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

snmp

Votes:

I have the green light to purchase this software but I would like to have a better understanding of how to implement the software and the associated sensors before doing so. I currently have prtg installed on a hyper-v vm and get the basic sensors for our network. I believe it to be important to understand snmp sensors since this will cover a majority of the sensors that will be in use. Unfortunately I'm not able to get any snmp sensor to connect. Our network consist of some Cisco RV325 routers (Mibs on the website), Cisco SF300-SG300 switches (Mibs on the website) Windows 12 Servers, and Windows workstations. This is the error I get everytime from the SNMP tester

----------------------- New Test -----------------------
Paessler SNMP Tester 5.2.1
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (15 ms) : Device: 192.168.10.250
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (23 ms) : SNMP V3
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (30 ms) : Custom OID 
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (297 ms) : SNMP Datatype: ASN_PRIMITIVE
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (305 ms) : -------
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (312 ms) : Value: Error converting OID (SNMP error # -2007)
2/22/2016 10:38:13 AM (320 ms) : Done

I have: Turned off all firewalls Set community string Tried all versions of SNMP Entered windows credentials Attempted to connect to 127.0.0.1 or localhost

I think I'm missing something with the MIB's. I watched the video on how to import but at this point I feel like I'm lost here. For example if I want to load MIB's for the localhost most of the hardware specs to Hyper-V. For example the nic specs to Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter

I have spent many hours to this point and do not feel like I have moved past the initial install.

Thank you

John

mib oid snmp

Created on Feb 22, 2016 6:18:27 PM

Last change on Feb 23, 2016 5:31:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi John

Just to be sure, you only have a problem with your cisco devices, but you are able to retrieve SNMP information from your windows instances?

Have you configured the Cisco devices already, so your prtg instance is allowed to retrieve SNMP infos from those routers?

regards Thomas

Created on Feb 23, 2016 3:14:34 PM

Votes:

I get the same error from all devices currently even when I try to connect to the localhost.

Thank you

Created on Feb 25, 2016 4:33:31 PM

Votes:

What do you mean you get the error from all devices? So you implying that your PRTG server Probe isn't able to add ANY SNMP device, even the local PRTG probe? Sorry I cannot believe that. The only thing I could think of, is you have a Antivirus Software which has also an Softwarefirewall enabled.

First make sure that you are able to scan and add other SNMP devices, then when you see that this works, go on and use MIB files (for which you will need the MIB importer from paessler).

regards Thomas

Created on Feb 26, 2016 8:24:48 AM

Votes:

Thank you Thomas What I mean when I say "error from all devices" is with the Paessler SNMP tester I get the same error listed in my fist post on any device I try. I understand that going through a network might cause firewall or permission issues so to take the network out of the equation I try to test to the local computer that is running PRTG. I get the same error. There is no anti-virus currently and I have the firewall turned off in control panel of server 2012. I believe I have SNMP turned on the computer running PRTG because I can go to the services and add community string and it looks to me like it is running. I have done the same on the other computers and network devices.

PS I want to clarify that I am able to probe devices and use basic functions like ping but cannot add SNMP sensors.

Created on Mar 2, 2016 10:38:41 PM

Votes:

Hi John

I didn't want to offend you, I just didn't understand you fully.

So if you discover a device for SNMP (in the prtg webinterface, even localhost) are you able to retrieve any snmp sensor?

If you test with SNMP Tester. If you just enter a device, you also have to enter am OID. I recommend to tick "Scan interfaces" to see if SNMP answers. (even check with a Windows Computer/server with snmp enabled) Or you use walk and enter 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1 That should be a valid CISCO OID (should get a bunch of data back) IF you have configured your Cisco Cisco RV325 already to give out snmp information to the server where you use the paessler snmp tester.

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 8, 2016 3:35:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.