What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

span port traffic with nprobe to prtg netflow data sensor

Votes:

i am trying to use a span port ( on a cisco device that does not support netflow) and then sent this data with nprobe to a netflow sensor on prtg. I see data coming in on the prtg server with wireshark on the port that the netflow sensor is configured for but i see now data coming in on the prtg sensor itself. I am somewhat confused on the exact configuration options from nprobe.

I have used the following command so far but i am not sure on the required options as i see different configuration examples online.

\nProbe>nprobe /c -i Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection -n 10.1.64.79:6367 -b 1 -u 0 -Q 1

netflow nprobe prtg span

Created on Feb 23, 2016 3:47:09 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we don't have any experience with setting NetFlow in this way.

Maybe some of our customers have tried to configure nProbe for NetFlow monitoring in PRTG?

Best regards

Created on Feb 24, 2016 4:14:57 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi. I am trying to use PRTG to get an overview of which *other* servers a Windows server is regularly communicating with over a 3-7 day period.

I'm just as confused. I can get sFlow streams from F5 appliances just fine on my PRTG, but I can't get nprobe sources working. Nprobe is poorly documented IMO; I can't even figure out if it sends Netflow v5, v9 or sFlow streams. (I don't even know what the difference is :)

My source is a Windows system with nProbe installed, during installation it got told which IP and port to send the stream to, as well as some sort of ID string. Am having trouble using other command line options, and figuring out what I should use.

I see the UDP traffic reaching the PRTG probe on the correct port but the sensor itself says "No data since startup" for hours.

Created on Nov 28, 2017 8:24:51 AM

Votes:

Dear Dag,

Unfortunately, I can just agree with Isidora's statement. We are not familiar with this product, so I am unable to assist you here, I'm afraid.

But I can help you with the understanding of the differences in NetFlow. Please see this website for an general overview.

Sorry that I can't offer a more satisfactory answer here.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Nov 29, 2017 6:40:50 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for replying anyway! I was hoping for tips for other users; I think I'll repost on the PRTG subreddit.

Created on Dec 4, 2017 7:19:27 AM

Votes:

I managed to "solve" this.

Turned out nProbe couldn't run on the Windows server I wanted to use it on (Windows Server 2003 32-bit.. don't ask).

Then I discovered that the "Packet Sniffer" sensor did pretty much the same thing, so I installed a PRTG probe on the offending servers and added Packet Sniffer sensors to that. It worked!

Created on Dec 4, 2017 12:54:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.