What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Temperature senzor not show negative value

Votes:

Hello First : sory for my bad english Second : Prtg network monitor is super, amazing good software !

Im using smtp senzor for measure temperature. Until yesterday everything was fine until the outside temperature fell down to zero degrees. Prtg senzor say no data! When the temperature is 0 or more again shows measurements. I use lan controller ( tinycontrol.eu ) and he show temperature - 2 degrees, on prtg is messeges 'no data' In settings i use : custom senzor and snmp. Limit to show measure is max 40 min -20 What I set wrong?

In thingspeak i see negative measure. Please help

lan-controler negative-value smtp temperature-senzor

Created on Feb 28, 2016 3:09:30 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you for your inquiry, we appreciate it. If I understood correctly, you're using the SNMP Custom Sensor pointed to a specific OID to retrieve this temperature value. You most probably configured Value Type Gauge (unsigned Integer), that's why it does not display negative values. In order to do so, you need to use Value Type Gauge (signed integer) or Gauge (float). See also the sensor's description (Section Add Sensor) for details.

Note: Value Type cannot be changed for the existing sensor, so you need to create the sensor anew with the appropriate Value Type.

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 1, 2016 1:02:09 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply! I deleted the old sensor and adding a new one, with set Gauge (float) : (For float values, such as -5.80 or 8.23 ).

I hope it will work!

Now I'm waiting , to fall outside temperature below zero degrees :) Now is +5, time 19:00h :(

I'll probably move senzor in the freezer :)

Thankyou again and regards from Ljubljana !

Damjan

Created on Mar 1, 2016 6:08:35 PM

Votes:

Hi Damjan,

Yes, it will work with this gauge. In case you move the sensor to the freezer, please post a picture here :)

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 2, 2016 7:59:03 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Works fine ! Yestrday, - 1.3 , Without freezer :) Thans again.... Regarts, Damjan

Created on Mar 4, 2016 7:40:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.