What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trying to get SNMP Communications going?

Votes:

Hi Everyone,

I am having a challenge enabling SNMP communications between a Virtual Machine (called 'NetMon', see diagram), and a Hyper Visor / Host (called 'PA-SERVER03', see diagram). Both the VM and the Host use the Windows Server 2012 Standard Operating System.

SNMP Diagram

I have installed PRTG Network Monitor onto the 'NetMon' VM. However as I cannot get communications through this program I have started further testing using Paessler SNMP Tester. Using the Tester I have found that both the VM and the Host can query themselves by using the loopback address (127.0.0.1).

Because the Firewalls on the VM, and on the target Host are both turned off I am beginning to suspect the Linksys SR2024 Network Switch which 'sits in the middle' is stopping communications!

If anybody has any suggestions on how to get SNMP working between the computers it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

prtg snmp

Created on Feb 29, 2016 2:30:05 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Davo,

Since the machines respond to SNMP requests when performed locally, it is most likely due to a security setting normally found in the properties of the SNMP Service itself. Please see Step 8 in this guide. In case Security tab is missing in the SNMP service's properties, take a look here.

Kind regards.

Created on Feb 29, 2016 12:37:53 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

I am pleased to say that I simply needed to add the I.P. address of the PRTG Host to the Security Tab of the target computers SNMP Service.

Initially the target computer did not respond to requests despite the addition, and further it would not do so even with a stop / start of the SNMP Service. However when I rebooted the target computer all came good.

Thank you very much for your helpful response.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Created on Feb 29, 2016 10:12:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.