What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need in/out bytes for wireless wifi users

Votes:

I have PRTG with managed switch ports, and rely on SNMP traffic in/out counters for my wired users. I need similar data for my wifi users. I am able to apply static wifi DHCP assignments, and I am willing to purchase all new access points and routers if necessary. How do other organizations measure their wifi traffic usage? SNMP agents on wifi devices like phones, ipcams and tablets is not feasible.

I would prefer peer-to-peer (per access point) local traffic stats, but if that's not possible I would accept per-IP traffic stats as traffic crosses the internet router. Perhaps there is an SNMP proxy agent for certain access points or routers? Perhaps someone has a probe interface to another vendor's wifi management console? Is there a particular wifi vendor that offers per-user usage that I can query myself? I would like to avoid using NetFlow data, for cost reasons.

It's 2016, and I'm sure there must be a way to get wifi traffic usage, and I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

access-point usage wifi wireless

Created on Mar 3, 2016 11:37:44 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
allow me to pass this on to our admins. I'll get back to you as soon as I know more.
Best regards

Created on Mar 7, 2016 3:23:44 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,
just got feedback. Our internal solution here is every SSID has it's own VLAN and we are grabbing traffic for each VLAN. Unfortunately I'm not aware of other customers methods capturing traffic.
Best regards

Created on Mar 7, 2016 3:51:03 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.