What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe ideas

Votes:

We've just setup a remote probe at one of our remote locations (East Coast USA).

We need ideas/tips as to how to monitor their user experience. There are a few users at this remote location and they all run windows machines. There are no servers there just PCs and network devices (Switch/router). All servers are in the West Coast (USA). We are running MPLS and VOIP. They authenticate to our DC and connect to a RDS/Citrix server here. They also access SharePoint.

I need ideas on what/how I should monitor in the remote probe. I need to monitor the following:

• Citrix experience (Latency, etc)
  • VOIP quality
  • Network Performance including internet speed and mapped drive file access
  • Login speed (we don't use roaming profiles on the local PCs)
  • SharePoint performance

Thanks!

performance remote-office remote-probe sensor

Created on Mar 8, 2016 10:45:04 PM

Last change on Mar 10, 2016 8:37:48 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello Manny,
thank you for your post.

Please confirm, you've already deployed the remote probe in the branch office and want sensor recommendations for this branch office, correct?

Basically, if the branch office is only using services from the main site via MPLS, you can focus on monitoring the performance of this link.

1. If you're using Cisco devices on both ends, considering setting-up Cisco's IP SLA, which will provide several network performance metrics which can be monitored with our Cisco IP SLA Sensor. If you're not using Cisco hardware (or it doesn't support SLA), then you can use our QOS Round Trip sensor, which will provide very similar readings as the IP SLA sensor but by using "dummy" UDP traffic sent from one PRTG probe to the Other (setup requires two probes).
  2. You should also consider using a SNMP Traffic Sensor on one of the endpoints of the MPLS (or on the uplink switch interface connected to the link) to measure it's traffic statistics, this will allow you to see if for instance issues are being caused by a link bottleneck.
  3. Lastly, for the "services" which these users use, you can add Ping, HTTP(Exchange's OWA), DNS or Port sensors to confirm whenever your users are able to reach the required services/resources and the response time. The Ping sensor will aditionally provide packet loss statistics when configured for multi-ping.

If the network connectivity to this remote office is in a good stand, users should enjoy a fast experience, if not then concentrate on the performance of your services on your datacenter/main site, there you can deploy specific performance sensors for your services:

Exchange

Exchange Server Sensor Exchange Transport Queue Sensor

Sharepoint

Sharepoint Process Sensor

Citrix

KB:How can I monitor Citrix environments?

Please check our extensive list of Available Sensor Types for further details.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 10, 2016 8:57:01 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Good info. This is enough to get me started. Thanks!

Created on Mar 24, 2016 4:13:18 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.