What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto logout from web interface after cluster setup

Votes:

We have had PRTG (single server installation, server 2008R2) for a couple of years, and are showing maps through the ajax web interfaces (4-6 tabs pr monitor) on 4 monitors in our office. This setup has worked perfect for a couple of years, no problems.

But after upgrading to server 2012R2, AND setup our PRTG in a cluster setup, we are experiencing som auto logout problems that are hard to troubleshoot. After logging in through the ajax web interfaces with one of our PRTG user accounts, after x minutes all the tabs are auto loged out. This never happened before....

The account settings are set to: Auto refresh every 45sec max groups/devices pr group = 30 max sensors pr device = 30

The user account settings for the affected users are the same as the above...

Any tips or ideas to why this is happening?

As stated, the only changes made by us is server upgrades and cluster setup.... It kinda seems that the cluster part of this might be the problem, without me understanding why and how this is....

Regards Terje Gabrielsen

cluster logout settings

Created on Mar 15, 2016 2:59:44 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Terje,

I've sent you an email requesting logfiles, since we would need those anyway for further investigation.

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 16, 2016 12:29:51 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, and thanks for your reply... I think i might have found the problem...

After the cluster setup, we made a DNS entry (monitor.xxxxx.xx) with both our IP's to the servers attached to the same entry name. Mainly because it didn't matter if we showed the monitor data on our TV's from the main server, or the secondary failover server.

But this seems to generate problems when an autorefresh suddenly changes from the logged in server pointer, to the failover server pointer in regards to IP. The strange thing is that it can happen after 10minutes, 40minutes or 2 hours... But it does indeed happen.

If we are logging directly inn to our main server by IP insted of the DNS name, it seems to keep the user logged in. We have not tried if the same applies to the failover server, but it would be strange if it didn't.

I'll update this post as soon as we have concluded about this.

Thanks so much for your reply though :)

Created on Mar 16, 2016 12:42:59 PM

Votes:

Sounds good, keep us posted :)

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 16, 2016 1:58:20 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.