What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

etc\motd without samba

Votes:

I want/must Monitor our etc\motd from different Servers. The Problem is, this Server dont have a samba running. With the old nagios System ist going with the nrpe. Is there any idea Change to Monitor this with PRTG?

linux motd sensor

Created on Mar 18, 2016 9:14:40 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Miethana

Hmm. What do you want to monitor exactly? I think the ssh sensor would be the right thing for you

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ssh_script_sensor and https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/39513-is-there-a-shell-script-example-for-prtg-s-ssh-script-sensor

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 21, 2016 9:14:26 AM

Votes:

sorry for the late replay. We become in the motd differently logs of the database usage, tablte sizes and System health. So i want to Monitor the Content of the motd.

Created on Mar 29, 2016 8:59:46 AM

Votes:

Hi Miethana

Yes, but what do you want to monitor exactly. I mean it's easy possible to check if something has changed, but you have to use a bash script for this as well.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create multiple ssh scripts and then check e.g. database usage, get a returnvalue and compare that with a value in PRTG? motd is usually just pure text, and extract the needed info from it is hard to achieve.

Explain more detailed what you want to know from your linuxmachine and I may can help you create a script which returns the values you need.

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 29, 2016 11:26:48 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.