What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Vmware host server by snmp ?

Votes:

Dear all,

First sorry for my bad english. I have a Vcenter to manage many vmware esxi, but when i add Vcenter to PRTG, time interval and database load from vcenter is too slow (vcenter and prtg server in the same local network). Time interval is at least 5 minute, it's impossible me, i need time interval below 5 minute. PRTG using Vcenter account to load database. So there in anyway to monitor vcenter or vmware esxi by SNMP ? Because i think SNMP is faster than using Vcenter or vmware esxi account.

esxi snmp vcenter vmware vmware-esxi

Created on Mar 21, 2016 1:44:03 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
we appreciate your contact.

Please check VMWare's documentation on the subject:

Please be aware that we don't offer any built-in SNMP Sensors for VMWare, but you could import your vendor's MIB and deploy an SNMP Library sensor.

You may also use our SNMP Tester to confirm whenever your device responds to SNMP requests, try using the "Walk" query on 1.3.6.1.4.1 to check for private SNMP implementations.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 21, 2016 1:26:31 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi fuong008

What do you want to monitor exactly from the esxi servers? Load? health? uptime?

You have to install the manufacturer specific vmware iso on your servers, if not already done (or install the snmp addons from them) before you can monitor SNMP directly from the esxi servers.

I don't know if the vcenter server itself can give you all information you need, but I am sure that the esxi servers itself can do that.

regards Thomas

Created on Mar 21, 2016 1:42:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.