What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Trap monitor can't alert

Votes:

I successfully get messages from the ITWatchDogs unit as follows... (note I put the MIB file which is available for download under the right-hand menu on the ITWatchDogs unit web interface, into the folder PRTG likes)

4/4/2016 10:14:57 AM 192.168.xx.xx SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = GEIST-MIB-V3::gstTempSensorTempFCLEAR GEIST-MIB-V3::productFriendlyName.0 = ITCloset GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTripType.0 = none (0) GEIST-MIB-V3::temperaturePrecision.0 = degree (0) GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTrigger.0 = High GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmInstance.0 = 5 0 0 162249042 2

4/4/2016 9:53:33 AM 192.168.xx.xx SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = GEIST-MIB-V3::gstTempSensorTempFNOTIFY GEIST-MIB-V3::productFriendlyName.0 = ITCloset GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTripType.0 = high (2) GEIST-MIB-V3::temperaturePrecision.0 = degree (0) GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTrigger.0 = High GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmInstance.0 = 5

However when I add (in the Error filter box) to the sensor config (so it will alert me) it never does alert me. I've tried entering things like...

bindings[GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTripType.0,high (2)] AND GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmInstance.0 = 5

and just...

bindings[GEIST-MIB-V3::alarmTripType.0,high (2)]

How do I make this work?

itwatchdogs sensor snmp snmp-sensor snmp-trap temperature

Created on Apr 4, 2016 5:02:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

The syntax does not look right, see also the manual for a few examples. I would recommend using the Messages tab in the sensor. It lists all received traps, let's you search through the messages and enables you to create filters by clicking on the desired fields (see gear wheel settings icon on the left in Messages tab).

If you need further assistance, a few screenshots showing the sensor's Settings and Messages tab would be helpful, you can also send them by email to [email protected] using PAE681934 in the subject, so it will be linked to this post in our ticket system.

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 5, 2016 1:55:31 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.