What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Status types

Votes:

Could we have a status type - 'Information' There are sensors which could only be added as information with current status and not down or just OK

notifications sensor-status sensors

Created on Apr 7, 2016 4:53:04 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We really appreciate it!

Sensor states is a difficult topic for us though. We already have 14 different sensor states, and we have to ask ourselves, are further states really necessary. Every new state creates a huge follow up in complexity (both in code and for users) as there are a lot of areas where sensor state transitions play important roles (notifications, dependencies, reporting, etc..). So we have to ask ourselves, how many users would benefit from such a distinct error state here, how much 'man power' would it cost to implement and test, are we risking stability with this (and frankly, with sensor states code, it's the heart of PRTG, so yes it will be a risk), and are there options to achieve this already.

There is an easy way already though to achieve your goal. Simply create a Ticket in PRTG upon the object you want to add the information to. This is exactly intended for informing staff members (with access to PRTG) with tasks related to a certain sensor / device.

best regards.

Created on Apr 7, 2016 12:32:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Torsten

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if the alternative suggested is what will take care of the requirement.

We as administrators would like to see sensors with only their current values even though the values on them suggest that they should be marked as error. For example pending Windows update. Even though they are delayed we would want to wait until next maintenance schedule to apply the updates and perform a restart.

But later I figured out that we could additionally add a notification that sets the sensor to acknowledged state.

I hope I am heading to the right direction to take care of the requirement.

Regards

Ruf

Created on Apr 7, 2016 3:16:45 PM

Votes:

Another alternative may be pausing the sensors and leaving an according note in the pause-message.

Created on Apr 8, 2016 7:34:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.