What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Number of Pings to mark a sensor as UP

Votes:

Hi,

Defining the number of pings required to fail before a Ping Sensor is maked as down is easily done by modifying parameter: "Ping Count".

The problem I have is with defining the number of successful pings required to mark the Sensor as Up again after it has been down. It marks it UP only after 1 successful ping. I don't see any parameter related to this and it produces our company great grief when a circuit comes back briefly for a second or two many times per hour. It generates an endless number of Notifications that soon overwhelm any support desk. Isn't there a way I can set a parameter to only mark a sensor Up when X number of Successful Pings are received?

Thanks,

ping sensor up

Created on Apr 8, 2016 9:43:11 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

You can try the following workaround: in the sensor settings, please set "Ping Count" to e.g. 10. Then in the channel settings of the sensor channel "Packet Loss", please enable limits and set "Upper Error Limit" to e.g. 50%, so the sensor will go into error state if packet loss is above this limit.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 1:20:44 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I am afraid that the only option would be to turn off the notifications that are sent out when condition clears.

Best regards

Created on Apr 12, 2016 9:57:29 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am very surprised by this limitation. We come from a Nagios background and with that platform the 'check_ping' command can be fine tuned to anything we want. For example you can tell it to send 10 pings and only mark the host as UP if 7 of them get positive response. Marking a host as UP when a single ping gets responded to is not an accurate representation of true conditions.

Created on Apr 12, 2016 12:41:27 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

You can try the following workaround: in the sensor settings, please set "Ping Count" to e.g. 10. Then in the channel settings of the sensor channel "Packet Loss", please enable limits and set "Upper Error Limit" to e.g. 50%, so the sensor will go into error state if packet loss is above this limit.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 1:20:44 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Isidora. I just tested your solution and it works perfectly. At 50% the sensor will not be marked as UP until at least 51% of the pings are successful.

Created on Apr 13, 2016 6:17:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.