What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Modify Email Body To Correct URL

Votes:

So we have PRTG setup in a Reverse Proxy. PRTG's running on 8080 but we are hitting it via 443. This all works correctly but the problem is the alerts reference the 8080 url , not the one we use to access PRTG. In previous versions I was able to just modify the body of the email. It looks like this functionality is now gone?

notification-email reverse-proxy url

Created on Apr 12, 2016 4:43:10 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Yes, customization of HTML email notifications got removed some time ago, see also this article. It also describes possibilities on what can be altered (header logo and footer) with those new HTML emails.

Besides that, customized text-only emails are possible or a scriptbased approach as described here for creating fully customizable HTML email notifications.

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 12, 2016 3:31:02 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Bummer - it was so easy to modify before. All I'm trying to accomplish is making the links in the email reflect the url we hit to access PRTG. Rather then the URL that the server "thinks" it is. Is this easily accomplished or do I have to go thru the scripting method?

Created on Apr 27, 2016 5:09:29 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid not. One "workaround" could be to place a comment in every sensor that will reflect the desired URL in the comments section of the notification email. It would have to look like this and you have to put in into every sensor: https://your_url:443/sensor.htm?id=%sensorid

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 27, 2016 2:26:37 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 27, 2016 2:27:16 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I mentioned the same issue in a thread about IIS Reverse Proxy: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/44613-using-windows-iis-as-ssl-proxy-for-prtg

This and the report header where my only RP issues. Work around were/are: When we follow the email links, we need to change to HTTPS & remove the port specification, and we use a custom "webroot/includes/reportheader.htm" file

Created on Apr 27, 2016 10:02:29 PM

Votes:

Cannot you set the DNS name of PRTG (Setup - System Admin - User Interface - DNS Name)

Eg, my server is called "server1" but PRTG emails all the links as "PRTG.mydomain.com" as that is the DNS name I have setup in PRTG

Created on Apr 27, 2016 11:26:26 PM

Votes:

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/65782-how-can-i-include-my-own-logo-into-html-emails
The feature is "Deprecated" yet I can confirm it still works (at least for me). I added the below single line of html to my PRTG notification footer. File Contents <a href="http://DDNS-or-WAN_IP:Port">DisplayText-PRTG</a> Location of file: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mailtemplates\footer_custom.htm

I am running what I believe to be the latest build at the time of typing this: PRTG Network Monitor 19.1.48.2929 What this does is adding the DisplayText-PRTG to the bottom of all my notifications and I click on that it hyperlinks over to my web interface for PRTG

I hope it goes without saying: Replace the DDNS/WAN_IP and port with your own relative information. Feel free to change the display text to what ever you want. No you do NOT need to include the word PRTG in it anywhere

Created on Mar 13, 2019 7:58:06 PM

Last change on Mar 14, 2019 7:08:47 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, TopGoodman.

Created on Mar 14, 2019 7:09:28 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.