What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My server is pretty sophisticated, but PRTG is still slow on Windows 2012R2?

Votes:

The server PRTG runs on is pretty powerful, Windows runs fine (as everything else),
but PRTG is rather slow and nearly unusable. Is there anything I can do about it?
The installed Windows version is 2012R2.

2012r2 energy-plan performance performance-plan slow-webinterface

Created on Apr 13, 2016 11:44:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 13, 2016 11:58:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important Information: This article is deprecated and is no longer updated. As of October 2023, PRTG no longer supports Windows Server 2012 R2. We recommend you use the most recent version of Windows Server.

Windows Server 2012R2 (and possibly any newer Windows Server operating systems) uses Balanced
as its default performance plan. While this doesn't affect the normal Windows operation in terms of speed, the webinterface of PRTG might be terribly slow and makes it a pain to use.

In order to solve the problem, please make sure that your performance plan is set to high performance. This can be determined in the console:

powercfg -getactivescheme

If this is anything else than the mentioned one (e.g. balanced or a vendor specific profile), proceed with the following steps:

1. Open up the control panel and go to Power Options
    Note If you can't see it, select the icon view in the top right of the control panel)
  2. Set the energy plan to High Performance
    Note the name might differ in your language)
  3. Close the control panel, no further action is needed.

The webinterface of PRTG should be noticeably faster now.

A little background on this:

In the Balanced profile throttles the CPU frequency constantly so it applies to the current server load. This is good if you want to save energy, but for PRTG it means a constant loss of performance. Something we don't want :)

Created on Apr 13, 2016 11:57:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 24, 2023 11:00:49 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Votes:

On the same boat here. My core + local probe is running bare metal on 2x 6 core processor + 96GB of memory on RAID 10 SSD running Windows 2012 R2 and still my prtg is nearly unusable. I split my sensors (around 20000) around 3 probes + core, all running on SSDs as well and with 16GB of RAM.

When I check the resources on the probes and core, there is no noticeable bottlnecks (CPU is fine, around 25%, memory is fine, less than 20% used) and there is only light IO use.

I'm at the point of looking for another tool, because I have nothing else to do. Btw, I've done the power thing, read the performance optimization on your blog and I'm still lost...

Any ideas?

Created on Jul 11, 2018 2:24:14 PM

Votes:

Please open up a support request with [email protected], referring to this post. We'll need to check the logs and status files to see what's going on. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 12, 2018 5:47:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.