What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Folder

Votes:

Hi. I use a test environment PRTG Network Monitor 16.1.22.2565.
I need to create a sensor to monitor the folder.

1. I need a sensor is triggered if there are files in the folder and they do not have 10 minutes.
  2. I need a sensor is triggered if there are no files in the folder 10 minutes. How can I do it?
    I tried to solve this problem channel, but the channel "File count" I can not specify the time after which the sensor works.

If I leave the default Folder sensor settings and only indicates the path to the folder, Check of File Ages - Show Error if older, File Age Limit - 1, File Age Limit Unit - In minutes, and delete files in the folder, the sensor remains in the Up state, which is unacceptable for me.

folder limits prtg

Created on Apr 20, 2016 3:17:19 PM

Last change on Apr 22, 2016 10:45:53 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Anton,
thank you for your post.

Please note that when specifying limits in the sensor's channel settings it's not possible to specify a time (ex.: for 10, 20, 30 minutes).

On the other hand, on the Notifications tab of the sensor there's an option to send a notification if a specific situation happens for X time (10 minutes in your case). You will require two distinct "Threshold triggers":

1. File Count (#) is Equal to 0 for at least 600 seconds perfom notification ....
  2. Oldest (or Newest) File channel is Equal to 600 for at least X seconds perform ...

Best Regards,

Created on Apr 22, 2016 10:52:43 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi again,
I decided to make 2 sensors to monitor each folder:

1. Monitoring of the old files,
  2. Tracking the missing files, but I can not set the time, appeared to trigger when there are no files in the folder 10 minutes or 60 minutes. I need a sensor moved to the "Down" state. So I can see it on the tab "Sensors With Alarms".

The optional parameter "Threshold triggers" does not suit me, because only the letters will appear in this case, and the trigger will be able to "Up", I miss the mail.

To solve the problem of the scan interval also did not work, because it is illogical, every 10 minutes to scan the folder in the file can not be.

Created on May 4, 2016 12:13:19 PM

Last change on May 4, 2016 12:31:01 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello,
thank you for your reply.

Please note that channel limits can't be time-evaluated, they're always "instantly activated". This means that if you want to have this functionality (Time since file count = 0) you will need to create a Custom-script sensor that provides this value as a separate channel and alert based on that channel.

Best Regards,

Created on May 5, 2016 7:11:26 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.