What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Display Maximum Value of Free Disk Space on a Map

Votes:

On the WMI Free Disk space sensor Maximum Value is the size of the disk. Is there a way to display that as an object on a map?

disk-free map-designer wmi-free-disk-sensor

Created on Apr 22, 2016 9:22:45 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

You can try the following:

- in the "WMI Free Disk Space" sensor, choose the channel that you want to display in map (e.g. "Total") and click the pin symbol to make this channel the primary channel of the sensor,

- in the map add this sensor using the "Status Icon -> Primary Channel Gauge", so the icon will show the last and the maximum value.

Best regards

Created on Apr 25, 2016 3:27:33 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

The WMI class we are using for the WMI multi disk sensor does not return a value for the total disk size. If you want to monitor the total size, you can configure SNMP on the target device and use the SNMP Disk Free Sensor which will show the total size: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_disk_free_sensor

Best regards

Created on Apr 27, 2016 2:30:15 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

While this does work it breaks any other maps I have that need to show the amount of free space.

So in order to keep both maps working I have to add a second sensor and set it's primary channel to Total. This means there is now a duplicate sensor gathering the exact same data. This is not only a waste of the sensors that I've paid for but also a waste of resources. Multiply this by the number of servers I need to do this for and it gets quite frustrating.

Surely there must be a way to configure a map object to grab data from a different channel?

Created on Oct 9, 2017 12:53:16 PM

Votes:

The map will only display the primary channel or all channels. You can display all of the channels for a sensor by selecting Status Icon - Channel Gauges in the properties of the map.

Created on Oct 10, 2017 11:01:16 AM by  Heather Pacan [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.