What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Update Sensor Error after update

Votes:

Hi

After update to 16.2.23.3270 version. Windows Update Sensor started to fail on the most of windows 2012 servers. This is the message.

@Could not retrieve update data. Please make sure your WSUS is configured correctly. (code: PE205)

I have net framework and powershell installed correctly on every windows.

I tried to add the device again, and the sensor.

How can troubleshoot this?

Thank you

Best Regards

prtg windows wsus

Created on Apr 25, 2016 8:54:11 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Is this about the Windows Updates Status (Powershell) Sensor?

If so, run this command in Powershell on (at least) one the affected target hosts: $searcher = (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session).CreateUpdateSearcher();$searcher.Search("Type='Software'").Updates | Sort-Object -Property Dates -Descending | ft -autosize IsInstalled, MsrcSeverity

What output do you get?

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 25, 2016 12:55:45 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 25, 2016 12:56:29 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Thank you for the answer. I don't have any output with that command.

PS C:\Users\_ddata> $searcher = (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session).CreateUpdateSearcher();$searcher.Search
("Type='Software'").Updates | Sort-Object -Property Dates -Descending | ft -autosize IsInstalled, MsrcSeverity
PS C:\Users\_ddata>

Best Regards

Created on Apr 25, 2016 1:04:48 PM

Last change on Jun 14, 2016 12:07:14 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Sorry, about the sensor, it is:

Windows Updates Status (Powershell)

Created on Apr 25, 2016 1:06:41 PM

Votes:

Then it looks like the sensor's assumption (Could not retrieve update data) is correct :)

The command is basically the same the sensor let's the target execute, then it processes the reply. Try restarting Windows Update Service to see if that helps. Other than that a reboot of the target should fix the issue in case there's nothing else going wrong with WSUS configuration that we can't tell from the sensor's result alone.

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 25, 2016 1:24:56 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I got the same error after removing and re-installing WSUS due to that KB3148812 issue. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/05/05/the-long-term-fix-for-kb3148812-issues/

I did that on 4 different customer Servers.
Three throwing the PE205 error message, one working.

Any assumption what might cause this problem.

Regards W.

Created on Jun 14, 2016 6:01:45 AM

Last change on Jun 14, 2016 12:07:58 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I'm afraid that we can't tell why this happens on some systems, we suggest contacting the vendor in this case.

Created on Jun 14, 2016 12:08:27 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi,

I have a similar problem: I can run the command on an affected host an I get an output. If I run this command from the probe with Enter-PSSession [AffectedHost] I don't get an output.

On the affected hosts and on the probe I've installed .NET 3.5, .NET 4.5, PS 2.0 and PS 4.0

Do you have any ideas what else we can do or check?

Thank you!
Bastian

Created on Oct 3, 2016 10:15:45 AM

Last change on Oct 3, 2016 11:59:22 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Bastian,
thank you for your reply.

This most likely indicates an issue with PSRemoting, which would explain why the sensor doesn't work. Unfortunately we cannot troubleshoot powershell remoting, it is a windows component/feature. Do other commands work if you perform an Enter-PSSession from the probe to one of the monitored systems?

You might also want to check the following articles:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 3, 2016 12:05:10 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.