What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Set group dependency in PRTG

Votes:

I have a server which has a few virtuals running on it. In PRTG, I have the server as a sensor with various WMI and SNMP sensors defined for it. I also have a group containing the virtual servers that this physical server is running, again with the various WMI and SNMP sensors defined for them.

It looks something like this:

Group1

I

PhysicalServer1 - disk - memory - cpu - ping

I

Virtuals

I

---Virt1 - disk - memory - cpu - ping

---Virt2 - disk - memory - cpu - ping

I want the entire Virtuals group to be dependent on the PhysicalServer1 node. I have tried setting the dependency of the Virtuals group to the PING object of the PhysicalServer1 as well as the server node itself. The PhysicalServer1 has its PING sensor as its master object.

dependency groups prtg virtual-servers

Created on Jul 19, 2010 4:59:17 PM

Last change on Jul 20, 2010 1:45:00 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Generally, you can make groups and devices dependent on other sensors only, not on other devices or groups.

Setting a dependency for your "Virtuals" group is the right way to go. You can set it to be dependent on the Ping sensor of "PhysicalServer1". So, if your "PhysicalServer1" is not reachable any more, its Ping sensor will go into a "down" status and thus the "Virtuals" group will be paused.

To do so, in the PRTG web interface,

• go to your "Virtuals" group's settings.
  • Remove the check mark in front of the line Inherit Schedules and Dependencies, so you can change this setting
  • Choose "Dependency Type" Select object
  • From the list appearing, select the Ping sensor of your "PhysicalServer1" device
  • Click on Save

See Also

Manual section Dependencies Concept.

Created on Jul 20, 2010 10:54:39 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. What about when I pause the "PhysicalServer1", I'd like it to automatically pause the "Virtuals" group. Is that possible?

Created on Jul 20, 2010 2:55:57 PM

Votes:

Manual pausing does not cause dependent objects to also be paused. You would have to do this manually.

Created on Jul 20, 2010 3:25:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.