What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature request - Dynamic warning and error limits

Votes:

I use a number of custom sensors being served via the Advanced XML EXE sensor. I have tried passing the warning and error limits in the XML but this only applies to sensor creation. I would love to be able to set the values dynamically based on certain circumstances determined by the code. I release that may play havoc with your scheduling\error notification systems with very frequent updates but I would only have 2 or 3 bands per day and it would not be updating on every call. I know this can be worked around with multi sensors and different notification schedules but it is a long way around.

error-limit exexml feature-request warning-limit

Created on Apr 26, 2016 7:57:29 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Have a look at the limit scheduler by AndrewG of our forums :)

Created on Apr 26, 2016 9:05:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 26, 2016 9:05:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi everyone,

This is exactly what i was searching for, but not with es external script, but with the xml response.

It would be good if there is a way to set a tag <dynamicLimit>1</dynamicLimit> to tell PRTG that the limits are given dynamically from the xml.

Is there a way to integer that?

Regards

Created on Oct 25, 2016 6:38:44 PM

Votes:

Hi Adrian,

Can you give me an example of how this might be useful? I might adapt what I have to include this (maybe).

I would assume something like this (pseudo code / Powershell)

$sensors = get-prtgsensors | where $_.tag -like "Dynamic1"

$sensors | foreach {
 $sensor_id = $_.id
 $channels = prtgSensorChannels $sensor_id
 $channels | foreach{
    $channel_id = $_.id
    Set-PRTGChannelSettings $sensor_id, $channel_id "Upper Error Limit", Get_Upper_Error_Limit($sensor_id, $channel_id)
    Set-PRTGChannelSettings $sensor_id, $channel_id "Upper Warning Limit", Get_Upper_Warning_Limit($sensor_id, $channel_id)
  } # end for each channel
} #end for each sensor

I have a feeling this pseudo code is actually syntax correct :)

Of course you want to have a lookup table for the sensor/channel id limits. This would be used by the Get_Upper_Error_Limit function.

Then you need to run this code every x minutes to change the values.

--I do not see this being built in any time soon

Created on Oct 25, 2016 11:02:21 PM

Votes:

Yep, Andrew's solution is the way to go here - thanks for stopping by! :)

Created on Oct 26, 2016 5:30:56 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.