What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding objects without duplicating via the API

Votes:

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of automating our PRTG installation process so that it is easier for us to deploy more and more PRTG installations. Currently, we have to manually set up the instalaltion (not a problem) and add 2 groups and a few devices. Once this is set up, our main piece of software uses the API to duplicate/delete/edit devices etc so our users don't have to.

This all works fantastically, however, I want to automate the creation of the 2 groups and initial sensors. This is where my problems start.

Due to the way that the PRTG API works, it doesn't seem possible to create objects, just duplicate them. My issue with this is, when I'm using a brand new installation there aren't any groups to duplicate, nor any devices.

Does anyone know of a work around for this?

Regards, Connor

api create duplicate

Created on Apr 28, 2016 2:19:49 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

To create a new group, call

http://<your-prtg-url>/addgroup2.htm?id=<parent-id>&name_=<the-group-name>&username=prtgadmin&password=prtgadmin

Created on Apr 29, 2016 6:40:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.