What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I need a list of my Remote Probes?

Votes:

Hi,

Is there any way to retrieve a list of remote probes within PRTG? If possible including their GID, Name and IP?

Regards, Stephan

gid guides list-of-remote-probes powershell remote-probe

Created on May 2, 2016 7:05:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 2, 2016 7:09:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Within PRTG, you can retrieve a list via http://<your-prtg>/status.htm?tabid=1, But the GID is missing. You can get it with the following PowerShell script:

[string] $ConfigurationFilePath = ((Get-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Core" -Name "Datapath").DataPath) + "PRTG Configuration.dat"
   [xml] $configuration = New-Object -TypeName XML;
         $configuration.Load($ConfigurationFilePath)

$Probes = $configuration.SelectNodes("//probenode")

$ProbeList = foreach($Probe in $Probes){
    [pscustomobject]@{
        ID   = $probe.ID
        GID  = $probe.data.probegid.Trim()
        Name = $probe.data.name.Trim()
        IP   = $probe.data.probeip.Trim()
    }
}

$ProbeList

Simply save it as probelist.ps1 and execute it. It will output something like this:

IDGIDNameIP
1DB1833F5-C90D-47C7-87CF-294B3CF687CCPaessler AG127.0.0.1
3244DB1833F5-C90D-47C7-87CF-294B3FKLJLKJAOffsite Office78.1.1.3

Note: This script comes without ANY warranty or support. Should it not work, we take no liability. Please carefully test it also on a copy of the configuration file. This has been tested with PowerShell v4. Make sure you have this or a newer version installed.

Created on May 2, 2016 7:09:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 7, 2017 12:16:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

If I run this Script I always get the error:

Exception calling "Load" with "1" argument(s): "'§', hexadecimal value 0x15, is an invalid character. Line 5565565, position 47."

What do I have to change to make it work? I have PS 4 installed

Created on Feb 28, 2017 8:37:17 AM

Votes:

Hi Joerg,

What is really interesting, is the fact that PowerShell complains on line 5565565. Please forward us this specific line, the one above and the one underneath of the script to analyze it further.

Best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2017 8:43:52 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Script works here like a charm: Thanks! Is there also a possibility to get association of Access Keys with Probe Names?

Created on Jun 30, 2018 6:30:38 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, that is not possible as there is actually no real link between both. Theoretically you can use one access key for all remote probes.

Best regards.

Created on Jul 2, 2018 7:07:03 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Let me ask again as the access key is generated when downloading/installing remote probes but executable differs only in filename: Any possibility to get an association of PRTG_Remote_Probe_Installer_for_customer_url_with_key_{AssocID}.exe with probe connection settings at webinterface?

Created on Jul 16, 2018 5:25:23 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

As mentioned, this is not possible. This is just a process to make it easier for you to setup a probe - as the access key is predefined. But for PRTG there is no Link between the probe and access key as every probe can use every access key.

Best regards

Created on Jul 17, 2018 7:59:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You sir are a legend this script is awesome.

Created on Dec 14, 2018 3:55:44 PM

Votes:

Thanks! :)

Created on Dec 17, 2018 7:55:57 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.