New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Nutanix

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Does PRTG have the ability to monitor a Nutanix environment?

nutanix prtg snmp-sensor

Created on May 4, 2016 7:19:17 PM by  samc7268 (3) 1

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi everyone,

This feature request has been converted into an official feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81336-nutanix-sensors

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle requests in the future. Thanks!

@tmather Thanks for your feedback regarding this. We're currently working on the process being eased up (i.e. only a very low reputation [or none at all] being necessary). Unfortunately, it's somewhat more work than initially thought. I'll update the post accordingly once it's done.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 12, 2018 6:34:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

33 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Sorry, we don't have any native sensors for Nutanix as of now. You may need to come up with a script or application that does the monitoring and implement them using our script sensors.

Created on May 6, 2016 7:47:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Is there anything on the roadmap to implement monitoring functionality of Nutanix VMs running on acropolis? Nutanix is one of the gartner leaders in the hyperconverged industry and I would think this would be something PRTG would be working on.

- Jared

Created on Aug 9, 2017 6:50:57 PM by  Jared DiPerri (10) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Jared,

Well, seemingly there are MIB files within the Nutanix SNMP Configuration section. You could import them using the MIB Importer and then use the SNMP Library Sensor to put it into PRTG.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 10, 2017 6:16:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

More and more companies are moving to Nutanix/Acropolis. If you don't start aligning yourselves with the new leaders in the market, how do you expect to stay in the forefront? This isn't a fad.

Over the next 6-8 months, I'll be migrating all of my environments (internal systems and COLO systems) away from VMware and in to Nutanix. However this puts me in a situation where perhaps I now need to look at other monitoring solutions that are moving with times and staying ahead of the game.

...Will that be PRTG? Lets hope so, but I'm not waiting around to find out.

Created on Feb 6, 2018 11:46:31 AM by  Dave Williams (10) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

As of right now, we don't see strong demand among our customer base for these sensors (this thread actually reflects this). Only if we receive enough requests for that, we'll check out the implementation. That's always our way to go. It's really possible that most of Nutanix customers are simply not within our customer base (yet).

Other than that, did you already check out the Nutanix API? It seems rather verbose and can be monitored with our REST Custom Sensor, with a bit of work, though.

Additionally, Nutanix seems to offer MIB files that you could use with our SNMP Library Sensor. Could you verify that?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team.

Created on Feb 6, 2018 3:01:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Stephan, we are also in the same boat. Running an unlimited version of PRTG, but are seriously starting to look at other monitoring software to help monitor Nutanix. You guys already support EMC, Lenovo, etc.

Look at the latest (Feb 6/2018) Gartner report on Magic Quadrant for Hyperconverged Infrastructure. You'll see where Nutanix sits in comparison to other vendors you're supporting (FYI.. at the front)

Link to latest report : https://tinyurl.com/y8mbqvky

Phil / Intraworks

Created on Feb 8, 2018 5:20:04 PM by  Phil Stiller (10) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Phil,

Thanks for joining the discussion. Until we receive more demand, check out my last post regarding the Nutanix API and the Rest (Custom) Sensor. They should be a good team in the meantime.

Rest assurred that I'll keep an eye to see if there's an increased demand for it among our 200,000 customers :) We're not doing this to drive you away to other solutions, but we need to make sure we're actually meeting the demands of the majority of our customers.

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 8, 2018 9:17:05 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 8, 2018 9:17:55 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I am also in the same situation as the users above. Where do I go vote for you to include this functionality?

Created on Feb 9, 2018 5:45:58 PM by  manimichart (20) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Created on Feb 9, 2018 6:02:09 PM by  manimichart (20) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 I would like to see Nutanix integrated fully within PRTG.

Created on Feb 13, 2018 1:26:35 PM by  JonathanRump (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

we also moved to nutanix 2 years ago. this month i moved our last ESXI server to nutanix. was also the last server our PRTG monitored. so now we are in the same boat as many others here. debating to upgrade to a paid PRTG version but if there is no nutanix support i will have to look somewhere else.

Created on Mar 19, 2018 12:52:29 PM by  samvernaillen (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Did you already try the MIB files as suggested? What other metrics would you like to monitor apart from those?

Kind regards,

Created on Mar 20, 2018 3:41:25 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We consider HyperVisor switch for Nutanix and have a PRTG Enterprise edition, does PRTG not support Nutanix?... Where can I find the doumentation for it? With only 60 days left until licenses renew it's impotant to know since I doubd it will happen if it isn't possible to monitor Nutanix with PRTG

Created on Apr 16, 2018 8:24:28 AM by  ThomasMichaelJohansen (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello ThomasMichaelJohansen,
thank you for your reply.

At the present, no "native" support in PRTG yet. This doesn't mean that you can't monitor it with PRTG, only that you can't monitor it "out of the box". Since Nutanix appear to implement an API, it should be possible to monitor with custom sensors. Please have a look at the information Stephan put together here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/69451-monitoring-nutanix#reply-266581

Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Apr 17, 2018 10:22:40 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We have just switched to Nutanix, I was sure PRTG would have sensors, but I was disappointed when I realized they did not have it. It would be appreciated very much if you develop sensors for Nutanix.

Created on Apr 18, 2018 8:54:03 AM by  La55e (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello La55e,
thank you for your feedback as well.

As I've mentioned yesterday, it's not on our current plans, but it should be possible to monitor with corresponding SNMP MIB from the vendor or by interacting with the API:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Apr 18, 2018 11:32:15 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We have been running on Nutanix and using PRTG for three years. Please add Nutanix to your supported products. Nutanix is now supported on Nutanix, Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Fujitsu, HP and Cisco. It is the leader in the hyperconverged space and continues to grow. I believe PRTG support of Nutanix hardware and AHV would be a good move.

Created on Jun 13, 2018 2:13:05 PM by  Strategist (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We're currently building up a new way to keep track of feature requests and Nutanix support is something we'll look into, due to popular demand. Stay tuned.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 13, 2018 6:19:11 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 for Nutanix support and monitoring options, it would be really helpful!

Created on Jun 20, 2018 3:34:08 PM by  Tboyd (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 here too. We just installed a new Nutanix cluster in our environment and I would very much like to monitor with PRTG.

Created on Jul 11, 2018 7:15:35 PM by  lsawyer (10)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please don't post +1 into the feature threads you'd like to see, but upvote the first post. This will increase visibility throughout the knowledge base.

Created on Jul 12, 2018 1:20:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I would like to see some Nutanix sensors too.

Created on Jul 27, 2018 3:48:16 PM by  reads (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Reads, please use the upvote (thumbs up) button in the first post of this thread - thanks! :)

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 27, 2018 6:59:31 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 - as i dont have a reputation of 15 to vote :(

Created on Aug 14, 2018 5:34:03 AM by  tropps (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Considered, thanks! :)

Created on Aug 14, 2018 6:18:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 for me too as I don't have reputation to up vote.

Created on Aug 17, 2018 9:52:42 AM by  Andre Swigon (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Counted :)

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 17, 2018 11:21:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please add Nutanix support. I don't like the excuse given by Stephen Linke at the top of this thread "(this thread actually reflects this)". Considering how many hoops you have to jump through to get registered on this site, and this not being able to "upvote" anything until you get a reputation makes it unlikely users will make their way commenting on this thread.

Created on Sep 5, 2018 12:17:29 PM by  TMather (0)

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi everyone,

This feature request has been converted into an official feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81336-nutanix-sensors

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle requests in the future. Thanks!

@tmather Thanks for your feedback regarding this. We're currently working on the process being eased up (i.e. only a very low reputation [or none at all] being necessary). Unfortunately, it's somewhat more work than initially thought. I'll update the post accordingly once it's done.

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 12, 2018 6:34:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We use PRTG (unlimited) to monitor all our devices globally. Migration to Nutanix AHV is nearly complete in our primary data centers and we have started the migrations for our remote facilities. If PRTG is unable to fully and effectively monitor Nutanix environments soon, we will have to start looking for an alternative.

I tried to vote for the official feature request but unable to since my account is new.

Created on Sep 25, 2018 8:19:26 PM by  DSCOTTL (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I'll let you know once you can vote :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 26, 2018 7:45:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Nutanix sensors will be useful, we too monitor our env with PRTG and are migrating to Nutanix, please add.

Created on Jan 7, 2019 4:44:30 PM by  knockout (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please check this thread - we're already implementing them :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 7, 2019 7:06:05 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.