What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Bandwidth Monitoring Sensors - Traffic In/Out similar/the same?

Votes:

I just got PRTG set up yesterday. I am a home user and only really have interest in monitoring my bandwidth to and from the internet. I've set up sensors via SNMP to monitor the eth0 (WAN) port on my router. Everything seemed to be going ok, except I noticed much of my In/Out traffic was being reported the same, when it shouldn't be.

http://i.imgur.com/uUj1jBW.png

Notice about from 9:00-10:45 last night. My wife was watching Netflix and the traffic in/out is almost identical. There should be hardly anything going out, it should all be traffic in. It's similar for most other peaks and valleys since I set up the graph.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help

bandwidth snmp wan

Created on May 10, 2016 11:50:04 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear block

PRTG shows what the device returns via SNMP. Please open the webinterface or command line interface (depending on what your device offers) and compare the traffic values.

Created on May 11, 2016 10:48:25 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. The traffic values within the router are what I would expect. It probably is some sort of SNMP reporting issue. I just posted on the ASUS Merlin firmware forum as that's what I am using. We'll see if they have anything to add.

Created on May 11, 2016 12:26:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.