What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco Switch SNMP error

Votes:

Hi

I configure SNMP on Cisco switch with default setting(community: public, port: 161)

I monitoring switch with correctly in PRTG without set SNMP Compatibility Options.

but when i check "inherit from ..." by default settings then PRTG cannot get SNMP information.

why this senario occur?

cisco cisco-switch prtg snmp

Created on May 14, 2016 10:00:03 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Please note that the settings that are displayed/used when you disable inheritance may not be the default ones, it's possible to store different settings but enable inheritance, this way you will have non-default settings stored but they will be superseded by inheritance, but when switching back to explicit settings they will be used again.

The only way to make sure that the settings are the default ones is to re-create the object (group, device), this way the SNMP Compatibility Options will be de default ones.

Best Regards,

Created on May 16, 2016 9:49:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.