What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to edit Performance Counters Custome sensor?

Votes:

I know you have a reason to lock "List of Counters" field from editing just after PerfCounter Custom creation. It was device internal database structure as I can remember.

Can you please investigate to implement similar mechanism as you have already for SNMP Disk Free sensors: a lock with a description "Warning! Only edit this field when asked to do so by the Paessler support team. Unauthorized use can lead to false monitoring data!" ?

I am using above successfully when for whatever reason serial number for monitored disk has changed. For PerfCounter Custom I have a number of situations where its edit would save a lot of job. I mean I would change only minor things like disk number or SQL instance name and general query structure would stay the same. I do appreciate for such little feature.

custom edit performance-counters

Created on May 15, 2016 10:50:54 AM

Last change on May 16, 2016 9:38:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Tomasz,
thaml you for your kb-post.

There's no intention on allowing this to be editable in the near-future, this is due to the limitation that regards channels, they're "as good as static" once the channel was recorded, this means that changes to the query could lead to the sensor displaying "dead" channels or even very-similarly named channels.

If you want to switch to something more flexible consider using one of the custom sensors below that can be set-up to monitoring anything including Performance Counters(See Get-Counter) readings:

Best Regards,

Created on May 17, 2016 7:29:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.