What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSH Script Sensor - Failed to connect

Votes:

Hello,

I have problem with SSH Script sensor after last PRTG update (16.2.24.3792+). I get error:

"Failed to connect. Please check the SSH log of the target device or try the Compatibility Mode of the sensor's SSH engine and consider updating the target system's operating system. Reason: ssh_connect failed"

On remote computer (CentOS release 6.7 (Final), OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips) i get this error:

"sshd[4847]: fatal: dh_gen_key: group too small: 1024 (2*need 1024)"

Compatibility mode does not solve this issue.

Best regards

Martin

connection failure ssh-script

Created on May 16, 2016 12:18:43 PM

Last change on Jan 18, 2017 8:36:25 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That explains it. We want to offer pre-6.0 compatibility again, but I cannot say when we can offer it. If you have the option, please update your OpenSSH to 6.0 or newer.

In the current PRTG version, the "Compatibility Mode (deprecated)" might already help.

Created on May 18, 2016 12:27:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 18, 2016 12:51:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello Martin

Which SSH version are you using? We currently have SSH sensor compatibility issues with OpenSSH prior to the 6.0 release.

Created on May 17, 2016 2:33:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

it is OpenSSH v.5.3p1 on CentOS 6.7.

Created on May 18, 2016 11:20:29 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That explains it. We want to offer pre-6.0 compatibility again, but I cannot say when we can offer it. If you have the option, please update your OpenSSH to 6.0 or newer.

In the current PRTG version, the "Compatibility Mode (deprecated)" might already help.

Created on May 18, 2016 12:27:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 18, 2016 12:51:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I have the same issue after updating PRTG to the current version. Switching the Sensor to Compatibility Mode didn't help anything. We also use the SSH SAN Sensors for monitoring a HP MSA Storage, which show the same error after the update.

As a workaround, I downgraded PRTG back to 16.1. I hope that this issue will be fixed soon. Please update this thread when a fixed version is available.

Regards,

Marc

Created on May 25, 2016 11:49:24 AM

Votes:

Dear Marc,

We are currently working on a solution for the HP SAN devices. We will announce the changes on our release notes page as soon as the new version is available: Release Notes

Best regards, Felix

Created on May 27, 2016 5:20:36 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Tried the newest Build (Patchnotes said something about SSH fixe) - but still no Success Best Regards

Created on May 31, 2016 12:20:03 PM

Votes:

Hi Andreas,

I assume that you use HP P2000 SAN devices, correct? We are still working on a solution for these devices, please excuse the inconveniences.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 1, 2016 8:02:37 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am getting the same error as well (dh_gen_key error). I am running Centos 6.8 final. I have checked yum and the versions mentioned above the latest versions available for Centos 6.8.

OpenSSH 5.3p1 OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips

I am running PRTG 17.1.28.1032+; however I am not planning on downgrading to an older version as a work around. When can we expect a fix to this issue?

Created on Mar 29, 2017 2:50:08 PM

Votes:

Dear zenjake,

Thank you very much for your KB-posting.

As the version 17.1.28.1032 is (unfortunately) quite buggy, please update PRTG to the latest version in order to see if the issue still persists.

In case it does, please open a new Support Ticket and forward us a Support Bundle including the system log files for analysis.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Mar 30, 2017 11:18:29 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

The SSH Script sensor is not working with the Operating System. What should I do to resolve this issue? I install Avast antivirus and also try on <a href="https://avastsupportnumber.co.uk/avast-customer-support/">avast customer service</a> for the help purpose but did not get any response.

Created on Oct 12, 2018 8:58:44 AM

Last change on Oct 15, 2018 4:35:25 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hey Nancy,

Did you already try to use the "Compatibility Mode" which can be set in the device settings under Credentials for Linux/Solaris/Mac OS (SSH/WBEM) Systems >> SSH Engine?

BR,
Sven

Created on Oct 12, 2018 9:28:38 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.