What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Wrong interface name on SNMP sensor

Votes:

I've configured SNMP v3 on a Cisco 6880-X-LE switch and discovered it with PRTG. Works fine, but it does not show the interface names as expected. I've changed the Port Name Template for the particular group to "[ifalias] [ifname] [ifsensor]", since I otherwise end up with a bunch of sensors with the same name. I was expecting it to show me something like this:

accesswitch01 te1/5/9 Traffic
accesswitch01 te2/5/9 Traffic
accesswitch01 Po23 Traffic

But it show this:

accesswitch01-01/1 Traffic
accesswitch01-01/2 Traffic
accesswitch01 Po23 Traffic

According to the manual [ifname] is "The textual name of the monitored interface as assigned by the local device", but it's the same name for every port channel member on the switch ("-01/1" and "-01/2").

Is it possible to get the physical interface name in the sensor?

physical-interface sensor snmp snmpv3

Created on May 24, 2016 6:34:29 AM

Last change on May 27, 2016 8:59:29 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello ecce,
we appreciate your contact.

PRTG will be able to display any interface name that the device makes available via SNMP, so it's a matter of checking what names the devices makes available.

Please download our latest SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform a "Walk" test against the target device providing the following OID's as parameter:

Please publish your result here or contact us and share the result, this will allow us to confirm which names are available and what name template placeholder needs to be used/configured.

Best Regards,

Created on May 27, 2016 9:05:47 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.