What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bind to IP and port

Votes:

I am trying to run PRTG on a server that is running another web server (ScreenConnect not IIS).

I have created 2 local IP's and 2 external IP's for each (PRTG and ScreenConnect) webserver to use port 80.

ScreenConnect is bound to 10.1.1.50:80 PRTG is configured to use 10.1.1.51:80

If I start the ScreenConnect service and run netstat -an I see the it is listening only on 10.1.1.50:80

When I run the PRTG administration tool I select 10.1.1.51 as the address for the web server and port 80. Saving the configuration resets the PRTG port to 8080.

If I stop the SC service I am able to use the PRTG admin tool to set the web server port to 80 listening on 10.1.1.51 and confirmed using netstat -an.

If I attempt to start PRTG while the SC service is running the PRTG port is changed back to 8080.

Thoughts?

bind ip script

Created on May 25, 2016 4:08:54 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

By default, PRTG perform a redirect to 8080 if port 80 is used by another software. It seems that ScreenConnect still use 10.1.1.51:80 if another program try to bind this port. So you might either change the used port in the PRTG Administrator tool to another port than 80 or you might check the configuration in ScreenConnect.

Created on May 30, 2016 4:31:18 AM by  [email protected]

Last change on Sep 26, 2017 11:29:50 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If ScreenConnect is the only web service running, netstat -an 10.1.1.50 is the only IP displayed as listening on port 80. Is it possible that netstat could be providing incomplete information? Is it possible that ScreenConnect could be binding 10.1.1.51:80 in a hidden process?

If PRTG is running netstat -an shows only 10.1.1.51 is the only IP listening on port 80. ScreenConnect will also fail if attempting to start while PRTG is running.

Created on May 30, 2016 4:37:40 AM

Votes:

If netstat shows the port as free it can be possible that ScreenConnect tries only to bind this port if another software tries to bind this port. You should contact ScreenConnect about this issue.

Created on May 30, 2016 11:00:46 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Do you mean that if ScreenConnect is not using port 80 it binds it to an unused IP when PRTG tries to start? Almost as if it is watching the other IP waiting for another service to bind the port then takes it as soon as PRTG attempts to bind port 80 on the other IP?

Then once PRTG gives up and uses 8080, ScreenConnect unbinds port 80 on the other IP?

Created on May 31, 2016 12:37:52 PM

Votes:

Yes, that's maybe possible, but this is what you have to clarify with the ScreenConnect support.

Created on Jun 3, 2016 4:54:30 AM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.