What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

About Data Backup

Votes:

Hello, how are you? I have extensively studied the PRTG because I want to use in my business. But before buying it, I'm doing some tests and one of them is to use two servers to do the monitoring. My idea is to use a key to monitoring and even a booking which would also be a test settings and environment. So for that, I'll have to do some manipulation with the configuration files and the database of the two servers. My question is, if the case is to stop a server for maintenance, the other can continue to monitor and, in the end, I can add the data from both in a single backup that will be shared by both of them not to lose any data and to generate more reports faithful? If so, how do I do this? I know I have the Paessler folder Configuration.dat the files for general settings and imagined that the Monitoring Data folder would be the historical archives to generate reports, but for my tests is not there that we find this data. You could choose a location outside of the two HD server where the save data both of Monitoring Data folders, and then adding back these data to the servers? Thank you

configuration-backup data-backup two-servers

Created on May 26, 2016 5:04:35 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

If you would like to have a redundancy in monitoring, we recommend you to consider installing a PRTG Cluster. This ensures a fail-safe monitoring with gapless data.

In configuration file PRTG stores its device tree, sensor and device setting, etc. Monitoring history and data for all monitored objects are kept in the folder "Monitoring Database". However, we don't support editing config files and raw data in monitoring database.

For detailed information on where PRTG stores its data, please have a look at this article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

Best regards

Created on May 27, 2016 1:47:59 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.