What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File / folder monitoring in folder

Votes:

I have a folder with several different file extensions. Some give notification when specific extension is created. I also like to monitor other files, and have to give notification if they are older than 30 minutes. I cant really find out how to do that, the folder sensor give me some possibilities but not to set an extension.

file folder sensor-monitoring

Created on Jun 1, 2016 6:31:46 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Actually, what you are asking for is probably possible with the SQLBackupDestinationCheck.vbs file from this article I wrote I while ago: PRTG KB - 79665-sql-database-backup-monitoring

This was also posted on my personal blog at SQL Database backup monitoring

To give you a brief overview what the script does already look at the quote form the article below. In any case, you might be able to slightly modify the script to better accommodate you needs - assuming it does not already fulfill your requirements. If you have further questions or need help - please reach out - but please clarify more specific what you exactly need and want to see.

SQLBackupDestinationCheck.vbs: This is a VBS script that will return XML content to PRTG in multiple channels while using one sensor.

It expects three parameters:

go through first level sub folders: 0 (no) or 1 (yes) file extension to obey - any other extension will be ignored - in most cases: "bak" Path - should mostly be an UNC path It will return those channels:

Total file count: count of all files with this extension in all folders checked Total folder count: count of all folders checked Oldest file found in days: oldest file - value gives back age in days Newest file found in days: newest file - value gives back age in days Lowest files in folder count found: lowest count of files that have been found in one folder Highest files in folder count found: max. files that have been found in one folder

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jul 24, 2018 2:48:25 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello, thank you for your post.

Unfortunately it's not possible to filter the files by extension, you would require a custom sensor to achieve this.

You can find further details about the Custom Sensor's API here PRTG Manual: Custom Sensors.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 3, 2016 11:02:45 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 7:49:44 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Actually, what you are asking for is probably possible with the SQLBackupDestinationCheck.vbs file from this article I wrote I while ago: PRTG KB - 79665-sql-database-backup-monitoring

This was also posted on my personal blog at SQL Database backup monitoring

To give you a brief overview what the script does already look at the quote form the article below. In any case, you might be able to slightly modify the script to better accommodate you needs - assuming it does not already fulfill your requirements. If you have further questions or need help - please reach out - but please clarify more specific what you exactly need and want to see.

SQLBackupDestinationCheck.vbs: This is a VBS script that will return XML content to PRTG in multiple channels while using one sensor.

It expects three parameters:

go through first level sub folders: 0 (no) or 1 (yes) file extension to obey - any other extension will be ignored - in most cases: "bak" Path - should mostly be an UNC path It will return those channels:

Total file count: count of all files with this extension in all folders checked Total folder count: count of all folders checked Oldest file found in days: oldest file - value gives back age in days Newest file found in days: newest file - value gives back age in days Lowest files in folder count found: lowest count of files that have been found in one folder Highest files in folder count found: max. files that have been found in one folder

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jul 24, 2018 2:48:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.