What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG agent sync over uucp

Votes:

Gday,

Please let me know, is there a way to connect a PRTG agent via sync file communication system?

We have a lot of assychronous systems which works under Linux with UUCP and uux system. Those systems are speaking from different geo locations. What would like to do is to perform prtg agent installation and record resources from our systems like hdd status thermal sensors and all the good work of PRTG. But the location does not have 24/hour internet connection, but only file transfer or email communication. So how I will connect a central prtg server with their agents?

Thank you

email ftp prtg uucp

Created on Jun 2, 2016 2:40:52 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Karamelos,

PRTG does not have native sensor to communicate via the uucp protocol, but there are other ways to receive the data.

• The best way is to setup a remote probe at the target location which will continue the monitoring even if the connection to the core server is lost. This will require a Windows machine at the site.
  • You can create a file, which is readable by PRTG, i.e. an XML file (you can find the syntax on the "Setup > PRTG API > Custom Sensors"). You could push this file to a webserver and use the HTTP XML / REST sensor. The downside is that PRTG will only be able to read the last XML file.
  • You mentioned that the file transfer works permanently, this would comfort the point above with the XML file.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 3, 2016 9:18:21 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your support. So if I am understanding correclty, prtg will export PRTG automatically to a specific folder and then I can transfer this xml file to an other PRTG and display the values of that? if I perform sync each 30 minutes then I will get results every 30 minutes correct ?

Created on Jun 3, 2016 9:26:05 AM

Votes:

Hi,

In my example, the XML file needs to be created by the target system, the Linux device. PRTG will then read the values via the HTTP XML / Rest sensor. This is just an example, there will be several ways to achieve this. As mentioned before, installing a remote probe will be the best way to execute your own script, or use one of the native sensors.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 6, 2016 7:20:31 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.