What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Invisible alarm for a sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to monitor 2 devices in cluster for interfaces traffic and other services. as both devices in active/standby mode I see no reason to poll same data for both devices. Therefore, I created a custom sensor to monitor device state (act/stdby). This sensor being tracked by other sensors on the device (interfaces , tunnels ...) with object dependency so in a minute the custom sensor change state to down it triggers the dependent object to PAUSE.

Basically all works great except the fact the normal state of the custom sensor is DOWN (and other dependent object are paused) , I want to make the custom sensor to not trigger any alarm on PRTG, just leave it invisible or hide it somehow.

Is there any way to achieve this ?

alarms hidden-alarm invisible status tag

Created on Jun 8, 2016 10:12:09 AM

Last change on Jun 24, 2016 11:39:54 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello, thank you for your post.

A "down" sensor can't be hidden or made invisible, PRTG will always display this down sensor, you can remove notifications from the sensor to avoid notifications but it will be a down sensor.

You could prevent it from going down (if it's a custom sensor) by removing limits for instance, but please note that for the sensor to work correctly as a dependency it must become down/up to achieve it's purpose.

Please consider that it is possible to leverage the HTTP API to pause and resume sensors. It's also possible to create "HTTP Notifications" in PRTG which can pause and resume other sensors.

For further details:

For further details about the API, see PRTG Manual: Custom Sensors.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 9, 2016 10:29:14 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 7:51:25 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again

Thank you Luciano. I basically just want NOT to see this custom sensor in DOWN state in the ALARMS section, as we constantly monitor this view, that's make sense it will be down but thought of an option just not to show it in ALARMS view.

If I create a custom sensor for each pair of devices I will end up with dozens of sensors being marked as DOWN and visible on ALARMS view which monitoring dept. can think its a fault, which it doesn't.

Thanks

Created on Jun 13, 2016 5:27:24 AM

Votes:

Hello ND30,
thank you for your reply.

Well, if you're concerned with the Alarms view consider the following:

The "Alarms" view is basically the following view/filter:

/alarms.htm?filter_status=5&filter_status=4&filter_status=10&filter_status=13&filter_status=14

You can add the following to the URL to filter out a single tag from the "Alarms" view:

&filter_tags=@tag(-mycustomtag)

This means, the following URL will bring you the Alarms list but exclude sensors with a specific tag:

/alarms.htm?filter_status=5&filter_status=4&filter_status=10&filter_status=13&filter_status=14&filter_tags=@tag(-pingsensor)

The sensors can't be "down" without being down and this is the only way to trigger dependencies. One other approach I can think of is adding your monitoring dept. to a specific user group and removing the Access Rights from the sensor you don't want them to see, this should make it "invisible" in all views from those accounts/user group.

For further details: PRTG Manual: User Access Rights

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 13, 2016 7:07:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.