What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem with WMI Sensor on Windows 2012

Votes:

Several times a day some WMI sensor for a specific system reports the following message "80010108: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients"

I use WMI-Arbeitspeicher, WMI -Uptime, WMI-Diskspace.

The system I monitor is a windows 2012 server. I used this sensor on many systems but none of these systems seems to have problems.

What can I do?

error prtg wmi

Created on Jun 8, 2016 11:34:01 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Unfortunately, such sporadic WMI errors are very hard to catch & fix. It should help to use longer (thus safer) scanning intervals. Did you try restarting the target systems? And also try restarting the Probe Service, or its underlying host machine. Maybe also remove any WMI sensors that are not "really necessary" (and only add them in certain debug-situations), or pause them. These two actions should help already. The next thing could then indeed be deploying Remote Probes, maybe if the targets are grouped in subnets, or similar, then put a Remote Probe in each of these subnets. The final last resort, would be considering using SNMP to monitor the Windows Hosts, with something like SNMP Informant, where the free version of it, already covers most basic WMI Counters.

Created on Jun 10, 2016 12:15:46 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Hello,

many thanks for this answer. I restarted the probe service and will monitor if this will improve the situation. If this will not help I need to consider the SNMP option in my environment as disabling sensors or extending the scan interval (it is already at 30min) is not feasible for me.

Created on Jun 10, 2016 3:33:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.