What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

creating sensor for customize notification

Votes:

i need to create a sensor on my database which contain the notifications history as if it has no new entries after xx minutes, it initiate a warn. After xx minutes, trigger an alarm.

ping prtg sensor

Created on Jun 9, 2016 9:27:13 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hm, I'm afraid that this can't be realized with the built in sensors. Do the entries have a timestamp field we could use for calculations?

Created on Jun 13, 2016 3:23:22 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

the sensor must generate a trigger after 5mn without sending notification and a alarm after 10mn without notif.

Created on Jun 13, 2016 11:18:17 PM

Votes:

Would you like to trigger a action within your SQL database? If not, what exactly do you mean with alarm (without notification)? That somehow contradicts... :/

Created on Jun 14, 2016 6:55:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i receive login/logout notifications from my sql database.it's not normal to stay 10mn without receiving notif,so i want to create a sensor that after 5mn without notif will generate an notice & if after 10mn always no notif ,will generate an alarm.

Created on Jun 14, 2016 10:08:04 AM

Votes:

Are you already monitoring login/logout within PRTG? If so, what sensor are you using?

Created on Jun 14, 2016 12:51:55 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i'm using ping sensor.

Created on Jun 14, 2016 1:24:48 PM

Votes:

Well that won't do any good in terms of monitoring log in/out operations within a SQL database as ping only checks the availability of the host to respond to a ping. You basically need to get the number of concurrent user sessions with a query and use one of our SQL sensors to retrieve that value. Then you can use the channel limits to alert accordingly, once no logins happen within a certain timespan.

More information about the SQL sensors can be found here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/available_sensor_types#database

Created on Jun 14, 2016 1:55:39 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks for your help.the solution is to write a script and follow your way to create an mysql sensor. Just wondering,does it exist a full and detailed prtgdocumentation in french?if yes please share .

Created on Jun 15, 2016 12:20:17 AM

Votes:

Sorry, the documentation is only available in english :/

Created on Jun 15, 2016 7:52:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

how can add for exple the 7 last lines values of a sensors in my notification email(plain text format)?

Created on Jun 20, 2016 6:29:37 PM

Votes:

is it possible to add a graph to the content of my email or just add the link to the graph in the content ?

Created on Jun 20, 2016 6:31:36 PM

Votes:

The text mail content can actually be changed, directly in the notification settings, when the format is set to " Text with custom content". However, there's no placeholder that represents a link to the current live graph unfortunately. The same goes for values. Only the latest value can be inserted using %lastvalue.

Created on Jun 21, 2016 8:14:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.