What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG API template ID must be numeric?

Votes:

Hi everyone.

So there I was, starting to use PRTG for more and more, and getting really excited about the product. Then I decided to set it up to monitor SSL and domain expiry - and discovered that unfortunately when you try and use a targetted autodiscovery, the website and domain names in the IP/DNS list get flipped back to IPs, which completely breaks the ability to check the SSL certs. It's a HUGE shame because a job that should have taken me 20 minutes has now taken me about 8 hours, because I've been trying to use the PRTG powershell commands instead.

I have the powershell module talking to the API now, but my problem is that the add-prtgdevice command requires that the group ID and the template ID are numbers. I have found the group IDs but I can not find the template IDs anywhere. Even the template files themselves do not contain a numeric idea - their termplate ID seems to be text (eg "snmpdetailed").

How do I find the template numerical IDs so I can bulk add devices using the powershell commands?

[Or can you please fix autodiscovery so that there is an option to leave the DNS names alone and not try to reverse DNS them to IP addresses? Pleeeeease!]

api prtg template

Created on Jun 10, 2016 12:48:24 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

What PowerShell module are you using, just so I can take a look at how it's supposed to work? About the DNS names - not sure what you mean by that? DNS names are always resolved by the name server when you use them? :)

Created on Jun 13, 2016 2:39:08 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 13, 2016 2:39:15 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan.

Actually I've just figured it out - although the parameter is called "templateID" it actually means the numeric ID of an existing device to use AS a template.

What I meant by DNS names is this:

I wanted to add about 30 website URLs to be monitored for SSL certificate expiration. So I set up a new autodiscover, and in the list of IP addresses/DNS names I put all the website URLS in. However as soon as the autodiscover runs, it converts these website URLs into IP addresses, which causes problems because in many cases the websites are running on a shared server (eg Plesk etc) and so there is NOT a one-to-one mapping between the website URL and the IP address. If you convert the original DNS webite URL into an IP address, and then use THAT as the primary identifier for the sensor. it causes a lot of problems.

It would be great if there was an option - when you run an autodiscover - to leave these website URLs alone, and not try to reduce them to an IP address. IP addresses might make sense for most sensors but they don't make sense when you are using things like SSL certificate or domain expiration sensors...

best regards Greg

Created on Jun 14, 2016 7:35:43 AM

Votes:

Hm, strange. You mean that the autodiscovery changes the address of existing devices? Can you send me a screenshot of the autodiscovery settings of the group?

Created on Jun 14, 2016 11:09:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.