What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I send mails via external server? f.e. gmail.com ; outlook.com

Votes:

Hello

We have an Exchange Server but this server doesn't get directly mails. - For receiving we use "popcon".

So normally our mails go to an external provider and our popcon asks this server and if there are any mails so it download it and sort it to the mailboxes.

Now we want the smtp relay sending emails to our domain without using exchange for sending - but I get the info "theres no mx records" - but there are mx records. So I think it's because our exchange doesn't receive mails directly.

Maybe anyone has some ideas?

Sorry for my terrible english

alerts exchange mx-records

Created on Jun 10, 2016 9:06:49 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,
thank you for your post.

I assume you've located the SMTP account settings under Setup > Notification Delivery. When you select "Use SMTP relay server (recommended inside LANs/NATs)" you may enter any server address, this can be internal or external to your network, as long as the credentials are valid and the defined port is not blocked along the way.

If you have an external provider (i.e. gmail, outlook.com) you can use this for notification delivery, please note that some providers may have strict rules about how many e-mail you can send per day/account, so beware aggressive notification triggers/repetition.

On a side note, you can also enable the Notification Delivery Logging to find out what's happening.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 13, 2016 12:28:26 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.