What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New snmp memory sensor showing as Response time

Votes:

Working with Extreme Black Diamond 8800 systems, I've downloaded, split and imported the mibs with the info I'm looking for (CPU utilization, system memory, free memory, user memory etc).

I've added the SNMP library and the sensor shows up, but its only showing response time, its not graphing the value being returned.

The only channels I can select are downtime (which has nothing) or response time, yet the 'last message' is the number I'm looking to track, graph and alert off of.

How can I fix this sensor?

extreme-networks prtg snmp

Created on Jun 13, 2016 3:59:45 AM

Last change on Jun 13, 2016 12:43:07 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello cco_biamp,
thank you for your post.

This behavior is characteristic of OID's defined as STRING in the MIB Definition. If this is a mistake of the vendor, you can set the "Type" of this OID to "Gauge" in the MIB Importer before deploying the SNMP Library sensors. This should work in most cases as PRTG can ignore the SNMP datatype and read the value in the specified format.

If the value is really a string (and contains text for instance), you can use Regular Expressions to extract the relevant numerical part of the string:

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 13, 2016 12:42:22 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, makes total sense. I'll make the adjustment and re-import the mib

Created on Jun 13, 2016 4:09:31 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.