What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Scan Exception

Votes:

The last 2 days, I have been greeted in the morning by all status ok devices(which should be green) with state unknown (grey). Any devices that have alarms are correctly coloured and if I clear the alarm problems, they update to status unknown.

When I checked the PRTG Probe Log, I can see "Scan Exception: Access Violation at address 0041703D in module 'PRTG Probe.exe' Write of address 00000000 (position=33)" at the time that the data for the unkown devices drops off.

Trying to stop the Probe service using the admin tool fails with a timeout, and the admin tool freezes.

I can resolve the problem by ending the process using task manager, then restarting the admin tool and using that to restart the probe service.

I want to find out why the problem is occurring and how to stop it, please.

access-violation probe prtg

Created on Jun 15, 2016 8:49:06 AM

Last change on Jun 17, 2016 10:30:31 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello duckettc,
thank you for your post.

• Which version of PRTG are you running and which sensor types do you use?
  • We will need a full support bundle to compare Core/Probe logs and check what could be happening, this could be a bug in PRTG but could also be related to custom sensors or other issues.

Please contact us from within PRTG via a Support Bundle and we'll be able to investigate.

Best regards,

Created on Jun 17, 2016 10:32:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.