What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP HPE ProLiant Physical Disk sensor not showing all information

Votes:

Hi,

I've added a device for an iLO for an HPE ProLiant server. Once the iLO was added, I amended the SNMP settings on the iLO and then added the HPE ProLiant System Health and also HPE ProLiant Physical Disk sensors.

The only issue I have is that the disk sensors seem to report on 'Disk Status' only, however, in the documentation, there seems to be a lot more in terms of monitoring, i.e. the S.M.A.R.T. Status, Drive Condition, etc.

None of these are showing on the sensors I've added via the iLO.

Can you advise me on what I need to do in order for these to show ALL drive information?

FYI - the server where the probe is installed is a virtual server running Windows 2012, as we are using ESXi on the physical server.

Thanks, James

ilo physical-disk snmp-sensor

Created on Jun 15, 2016 5:20:56 PM

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 2:36:35 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

SNMP HPE ProLiant Physical Disk sensor only showing disk status

There are cases when additional information is not available or usable and the sensor works in the so-called Limited Monitoring mode. This is decided based on the following OID:

cpqDaPhyDrvHasMonInfo1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36
Physical Drive Has Monitor Information. All of the physical disk table fields except for the physical disk status (phyDrvStatus) and the bay location (phyDrvBayLocation) are invalid unless this field has a value of true(2).

Essentially, if the value is false, the sensor only monitors the Disk Status. This is how the SNMP data looks in this case:

[...]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.0.6 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.0.7 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.3.0 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
[...]

As to why the server only reports limited monitoring information, that is something that HPE's support needs to be asked. We are unable to pinpoint in which condition this happens (limited data available from the server), we can only confirm that it does.

Best regards,
Luciano Lingnau

Created on Dec 4, 2017 10:34:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 14, 2022 9:57:07 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear James

Please contact [email protected] about this. Please link to the KB. You can mention me (Arne Seifert) so that I can follow up.

Created on Jun 17, 2016 1:25:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

SNMP HPE ProLiant Physical Disk sensor only showing disk status

There are cases when additional information is not available or usable and the sensor works in the so-called Limited Monitoring mode. This is decided based on the following OID:

cpqDaPhyDrvHasMonInfo1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36
Physical Drive Has Monitor Information. All of the physical disk table fields except for the physical disk status (phyDrvStatus) and the bay location (phyDrvBayLocation) are invalid unless this field has a value of true(2).

Essentially, if the value is false, the sensor only monitors the Disk Status. This is how the SNMP data looks in this case:

[...]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.0.6 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.0.7 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.36.3.0 = "1" [ASN_INTEGER]
[...]

As to why the server only reports limited monitoring information, that is something that HPE's support needs to be asked. We are unable to pinpoint in which condition this happens (limited data available from the server), we can only confirm that it does.

Best regards,
Luciano Lingnau

Created on Dec 4, 2017 10:34:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 14, 2022 9:57:07 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I have also installed agents listed here :

And at least Windows Events are generated upon HW failure. Windows Tack Scheduler can trigger action based on such Event logs. I set my TS to send E-mail using PS script.

Petr.

Created on Mar 14, 2018 10:21:30 AM

Last change on Mar 14, 2018 12:04:38 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello, does one of you already have new information? I am in contact with HPE Support regarding this problem that not all information is read out (iLO5). I do not have a solution yet.

Created on Oct 19, 2018 7:51:40 AM

Votes:

Hello Markus,
thank you for your follow-up.

Unfortunately we don't have any new details about this. If you're in contact with HP's support I expect they should be able to provide you one very soon. Once they do we'd appreciate it if you shared the outcome/solution here.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 19, 2018 1:39:44 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Want to post this workaround. Instead of the iLO device trying adding the sensor on the server device. Can confirm it works on ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 and ProLiant DL20 Gen9

Created on Feb 5, 2020 5:01:28 AM

Votes:

Mweerasinha, This workaround did not work on my HP Proliant DL360 Gen10 server.

Tony

Created on Feb 10, 2023 3:04:10 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.