What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Report for sensor count by type

Votes:

I have a need to report sensor counts by sensor type. Is this a report that can be produced from either the reporting feature or via one of the APIs? Has someone done that and if so, can you please provide an example?

api prtg reports

Created on Jun 16, 2016 11:55:46 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

I was actually able to work this out using the api. Here are the steps I used:

1. Use an api query to download a csv file. That api query included the type column.
  2. Used a text editor to clean up the double quotes.
  3. Imported into a MSSQL server database using the SSIS import utilities.
  4. . Ran my queries as needed.

As a feature request, statistics such as these should be available on the status page. We like the current stats such as number of devices, sensors, scans, etc. Other information like the sensor types and counts are helpful to our management to understand the utilization. It also aids in planning migration projects as in the case of deprecated sensors. For example, we have over 400 of our 8000 sensors that fall into this deprecated category. It takes time and effort to move those sensors to the new types and we'd like to plan for the work.

Created on Jun 17, 2016 11:27:39 AM

Last change on Jun 17, 2016 12:56:04 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well the stats are available on the status page, under Sensors by Performance Impact - Or is that not what you're looking for?

Created on Jun 17, 2016 12:57:32 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

"Sensors by Performance Impact" VERY useful statistic, but! In this list i can see only sensors name (for ex. lastwindowsupdate) not a tag or something, how can i find all sensors with this name in my Devices? Via API standard export?

Created on Aug 20, 2018 7:31:49 AM

Votes:

Vasily, thanks for the revert. Did you already try Sensors | By Tag | [letter] | [tagname]?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 20, 2018 8:44:44 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.